Sign in to follow this  
Jefhuf

Rear 3 Point Seat Belts for Child Booster in 69 Mach

As winter approaches I have a number of projects planned for the girl but one of the most important (because I promised my son I would) is making the car safe for him to ride in without a harness type child seat.  The harness seat worked fine with lap belts but now that he is bigger he really belongs in a booster type seat that requires a shoulder belt.  My wife still gives me a hard time about putting him in the front seat so I would like to have the availability of the rear to keep a happy house!  After some searching I have seen that some shops like CJ seem to be selling kits but I haven't seen any actual install videos, photos or threads for the rear, only the front seats.  Has anyone had experience with doing this? 

I have 3 point retractable belts in the rear. It was pretty simple to do. The retractor sits on the package tray with a reinforcing plate on the underside. I just used the stock lap belt mounts for the other 2 points. For the booster seat stap mount there's a hole through the package tray you can use. I'll take some pics and post them up when I get a chance.

The belts were a modern style from hemco here in Australia. I don't know how strict the rules are in the states but here the mounting plates have to be 3x2" in area and 1/8" thick for the belts and the booster mount has to be 4 square inches in area. I got the mounts from a local hot rod shop. Does your Mach have a fold down rear seat? My car is a coupe so there may be some differences.

Took some pics today. Not the clearest but should give you something to go on.

561FCE07-E3D4-4C4B-8EA6-72082BB3F55A_zps

The retractor sits above the package tray. It's a double thickness panel here

45ADEE4E-3198-489A-9648-DD964B819F88_zps

A reinforcing plate goes below. 3"x2" 1/8" thick. This spreads the load across a larger area. Most 70s-80s cars with factory fitted 3 point belts in the rear have similar mounts.

64B4D39D-B48B-48D7-A242-0A3C0E865E0C_zps

This hole is original, at the base of the rear screen and is through a double thickness panel. It lines up perfectly with the centre line of the seating position this is where the booster seat strap mount will go with a 3"X1.5"X1/8" plate underneath

E32772DF-64AA-412C-B66D-6B3B753D193C_zps

I hope this helps. I have seen several 69-70 fast backs done the same way here in Australia. Our seatbelt regs are very tight and it was compulsory to fit 3 point belts front and rear up until about 12 months ago.

Cheers Shaun