Sign in to follow this  
Chesterhoss

Carb/intake mani selection

Hey guys, I'm new here and I've been reading around quite a bit. I've just been handed down the family '69 Mach 1. Its got a 351w in it but it has an old 2bbl Ford carb. I mostly work on new cars and don't know as much as I'd like to about oldies. Of course I've got a million plans for the ride but I want to start with opening up the pipes a little. Its a stock 351w with headers and hi-flow exhaust.

I've been reading up and my question comes down to this: I'm looking at the Summitt and Edelbrock carb/mani packages. The Summitt 03-0214 and the Edelbrock 20314. I plan on keeping the car a street car/daily driver but may do some mild cam and head work at some point. Is there any really serious difference in performance or reliability between the two to make the Edelbrock worth the $250 difference or is it just the finish and the name?

Any input is appreciated everyone! :gunsmilie:

Edited by Chesterhoss

The Edelbrock combo you listed is actually for a 302 and will not fit your 351 anyway. The Summit manifold looks like the Weiand stealth part. Looking at a comparable Edelbrock setup you would want a Performer RPM and a 600cfm carb which is only a little more expensive than the Summit combo. The polish job is not necessary.

I wouldn't have any problem with the Summit setup, I have the same carb on my '78 F150 and it works great. Would be a good starting point.

Thanks for the input guys!

Now looking at either the Summitt kit or:

The Edelbrock 1406 carb matched with either the weiand stealth or Edelbrock 2181 IM. I want something that I can use daily but it leaves some space for a little cam work later.

Anybody have and pro's cons about the Weiand Stealth vs. Edelbrock Performer Series IMs?

The Edelbrock 2181 is an idle to 5500 rpm manifold, it'll be a choking point on future improvements.

The Weiand Stealth and the Edelbrock Performer RPM 7181 are both 1500 to 6500 rpm manifolds. I don't think there would really be much difference between the two.

So it looks like I'm going to either go with the Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap IM depending on the carb

The two carbs I pretty much have it narrowed down to are the Edelbrock 1806 and the Holley 0-80670. Anybody have any experience with either of these?