Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

15 or 17 inch wheels?

I'm in a quandary. I need to decide soon on wheels & tires for my FB. I found wheels I like & they are available in 15 or 17. I've been told by a few that 17s will ride very hard while 15s will be much better. On the other hand, I've been told that 17s will handle better. for the 17s I'm looking at Nitto 275/40 in rear & 245/45 up front. I'm not into bling bling wagon wheels but I would like a modern look (which is why I am considering 17s). Handling (cornering) is more important to me than comfort but if it rides like a truck with bolts shaking loose & glass cracking I want less handling. I guess this is mostly a subjective issue but there is a performance aspect. Hah - maybe I should just settle for 16s :whistling:

Well, some of what you have been told is correct. 17's will be stiffer, but I don't think it's going to be an issue. Inflation pressure and shock absorber choice will make a difference as well.

If you like the classic wide sidewall look, then go 15's. If you want better cornering go 17's. Which ever you choose don't look back as I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Which rims have you found that you like? When I get there I'm doing 48 series in a 17". Bruce

What kind of tires do you want? You'll have more "sporty" options with the 17" Will you be adding large brakes? If so, there are more options with the 17". I had the same dilemma as you and ended up getting a smoking deal on some used 15" with tires. I'm very happy with the older style look.

My '01 mustang has 17" wheels. I'd stick with a 45 series tire to avoid any harshness.

I "think" I've settled on American Racing VN505 Torq Thrust II wheels. They are available in 15's & 17's. Normally they are sold in a chrome finish which I think is too bright. I spoke with a guy at American and he said it can be done in polished aluminum which is more to my taste.

Just checked my wife's car. She has an 02 Corvette with 275/40-18 in back and 245/45-17 in front. If my Mustang can handle & feel as well as the Vette, I don't think 17's will be a problem. Of course GM had a few well paid engineers to sort things out. I can't compete with them...or can I (said with a hot rodders snicker).:sneaky2:

I went with the VN500's in 17 x 8 with a 4.75 backspace, which are basically torque thrusts with Magnum 500 centers. I am running Riken Raptors 245/45/17 with 500 lb 1" lower front springs with a 1969 Boss 302 front sway bar with all urethane bushings and links. I have the Boss 302 bar in the rear also with 1" billet lowering blocks and all urethane links. I have the regular KYB gas adjust shocks. The car rides great, had 14" on it before and it rode harsh. The handling is un real, especially after I replaced a loose idler arm. We just took the car to the Route 66 festival in Springfield IL and drove 3 hrs one way. Very comfortable. Planning on 275/40/17 tires on the back next summer to fill up rear wheelwell.