Sign in to follow this  
ksquared

How much space in front of radiator?

I want to install an electric pusher fan in front of my radiator but I don't know how much clearance space there is. My car is way across town at a shop. I've been looking at Spal fans. The thickest one is 3.75 inches and the thinnest is 2". Is there a support that might interfere? I'm thinking about 2 Spal 12" fans that push about 2600 cfm each at 5mm H2O. My hope is that they will do well enough that I won't need an engine driven fan. Problem is I live in the Phoenix AZ area :sweatdrop:

Right in the center you have the hood latch support bracket. My car is covered up right now but if memory serves me well you have about 4" of clearance at this point. This is WITHOUT a/c of course, take half of that away if you have a a/c. If you don't have a/c a set of twin fans will fit no problem.

But why pushers instead of pullers? What engine do you have? Pullers should fit no problem and are a far more popular application. Bruce

My thinking is that if the electric fans are not quite able to do the job, I can install a flex fan on the water pump & then run all 3. If I install pullers on the engine side of the radiator, I'll probably have room problems. I've had experience with this issue on my 75 Bronco. Its electric fan was just not able to keep up with the heat. I sure did notice a difference in performance with the belt driven fan removed.

btw - engine is a 428 stick with no A/C

Edited by ksquared

I'm leaning toward a Champion CC379 which is a 24" 3 row. Yep, it gets up to 115 degrees. Back in 1991 it hit 121! I won't be driving the Mustang on those days as it has no A/C. It seems like a pair of Spal 12" fans (30101505) should work. They'' push 2940 cfm @ 5mm H2O. You familiar with Champion?

I have never used a Champion and from the threads here and at other forums they are a fifty fifty deal. Meaning, they fit half the time or they don't. Many individuals have had a love/hate relationship with their Champions. I don't believe they have a clamp in 24" that will fit with our factory bracket system, but I could be wrong. The ONLY aluminum radiator I would use would be Griffin. The ONLY copper radiator I would use are those by US Radiator, the only USA made copper radiator as far as my research can reveal. All other copper rad's are made over seas or way down south if you know what I mean (think NAFTA) and have a terribly short life span. Bruce

Thanks for the info on radiators. I'd heard of Griffin but don't know anything about them. I'll check them and US Radiator out. Ouch! Griffin is 2.2 times the price of a Champion. Then again if the Champion falls apart or doesn't do the job, it's too expensive.

I looked at the Champion radiator number you provided. The top tank is to big and you will not be able to use the clamp in style bracket for the top. You will have to fab something to hold the top in. And you might even have to lower the bottom brackets to clear the underside of the hood. Bruce

I just found another radiator company called American Eagle. Their website says that their products are designed & built in Calif. Heard of them? I guess I'm just trying to find a more economical solution :whistling:

When it comes to aluminum there are a few domestic manufacturers sure thing. All the ones I see have the same large square tanks and that's the issue with the clamp in style 24" radiators Ford used on our cars. I don't know if AE will have a direct fit or not. I just looked at their page and I can't seem to find a fitment guide, just a long list of part numbers. Just give them a call and see what they have. I'll bet it will be the same issue as with the Champion. Bruce