Sign in to follow this  
dzahm

Headlight switch retainer (maybe repro'd)

So I stripped my (69) HL switch retainer (damnit) then discovered they are not repopped yet. Went through several tries to find one, finally got one used coming from Old Dominion Mustang (thanks guys). So I showed the part to a machinist friend, he thinks he can make it pretty easy, BUT one is expensive, a run of say 500 isn't that much more (relatively speaking). I am considering having a pile made, as I might strip the next one, and I know I am not the only one to go through this. These would be for sale; comparable in price to the repopped 65-68 ones, and we realize they would sell slowly over 20 yrs so not a great money maker. Mainly pocket money for the machinist, and a good repop for all us 69 owners. So I have several questions for the group. 1. Mild steel, aluminum, and brass are possible materials- any preference? 2. What is the plastic insert for? electrical insulation? or is it merely rattle control? (inside the retainer where the "shaft" travels) 3. Would lack of chrome plating be an issue for the average stang owner? 4. Machinist says he can make the center "cross" area slotted (for a screwdriver instead of the damn little tool that many don't have, and which might actually help you strip it out). 5. Anyone know if the 70 is the same, or 71-73?