Sign in to follow this  
jagsfan811

Safetly lifting 4 tires off the ground on jack stands

I will ask this question even though im sure it has been asked many times and i apologize. I have searched high and low and have found many conflicting statements to where i am unsettled as to what i should do to safely lift the mustang onto 4 jack stands so i can work under it.

I have heard that you should lift off the diff and put the jacks under the axle and i have heard others say not to. I would assume for the front i could lift off the frame rails. but again i dont know.

I have lifted many cars before ( using a lift never jack stands) but never a muscle car let alone my own that I will be laying under. so i figured before i was unsettled in getting under it, I would ask the folks on here, who have given me nothing but the best advice, to help me once again.

I am a picture person as many of you are also, so if anyone has any pictures those would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all and have a wonderful holiday weekend! :thumbup:

I will ask this question even though im sure it has been asked many times and i apologize. I have searched high and low and have found many conflicting statements to where i am unsettled as to what i should do to safely lift the mustang onto 4 jack stands so i can work under it.

I have heard that you should lift off the diff and put the jacks under the axle and i have heard others say not to. I would assume for the front i could lift off the frame rails. but again i dont know.

I have lifted many cars before ( using a lift never jack stands) but never a muscle car let alone my own that I will be laying under. so i figured before i was unsettled in getting under it, I would ask the folks on here, who have given me nothing but the best advice, to help me once again.

I am a picture person as many of you are also, so if anyone has any pictures those would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all and have a wonderful holiday weekend! :thumbup:

When I'm using jack stands, I use extra large ones to support the rear axle. It's not too hard to get a rocking motion with the smaller jack stands and they can tip over fairly easily. I've never had a problem using the larger ones sized for a truck. I support the front under the sub frame at the torque box. As an alternative, depending on what you're working on, you should consider the plastic ramps. I use those frequently also when I don't need to take the front suspension apart.

When I'm using jack stands, I use extra large ones to support the rear axle. It's not too hard to get a rocking motion with the smaller jack stands and they can tip over fairly easily. I've never had a problem using the larger ones sized for a truck. I support the front under the sub frame at the torque box. As an alternative, depending on what you're working on, you should consider the plastic ramps. I use those frequently also when I don't need to take the front suspension apart.

thank you, Yes i do have truck stands, they are overkill at 6 tons per stand but i dont mind as i am the one laying under the car for an extended period of time.

I also do have the ramps but i was looking to take the rims off and clean them up etc, and check out the breaks.

thank you, Yes i do have truck stands, they are overkill at 6 tons per stand but i dont mind as i am the one laying under the car for an extended period of time.

I also do have the ramps but i was looking to take the rims off and clean them up etc, and check out the breaks.

I've lifted off the rear diff and placed the big jack stands under the axle tubes or under the rear torque box if solid enough. For the front end I lifted off the cross member bringing the whole front end up at once and place stands under the torque boxes or frame rail just behind the TB, again only if solid enough.

Lynn

I've lifted off the rear diff and placed the big jack stands under the axle tubes or under the rear torque box if solid enough. For the front end I lifted off the cross member bringing the whole front end up at once and place stands under the torque boxes or frame rail just behind the TB, again only if solid enough.

Lynn

I put jack stands on the rear axle tube, and the front end on the frame rails just aft of the front wheels. When lowering be sure to use wheel chocks, to keep the vehicle from rolling fore or aft.

I put jack stands on the rear axle tube, and the front end on the frame rails just aft of the front wheels. When lowering be sure to use wheel chocks, to keep the vehicle from rolling fore or aft.