Sign in to follow this  
Trav_450R

The Sweet 69

I've already shown it off in the "introduce yourself" section but time for an offical introduction

This is the Sweet 69 Mustang Coupe thats been in my family for the last 32 years, its my moms first car, and now my first race car. After my mom and dad got together, it started out as a street/strip car with a '78 302 punched out to a 308, setup for a blower to be dropped ontop. Then in 1996 was offically turned into a show car, it lost the Pro Star wheels in 2001 and got some Billet Specialties (not sure of the name) wheels 16" on front and 17" on back. Sadly in 2004 the car had to be hauled to a storage unit due to not having enough room at the house since my dads 69 chevy pickup got totaled out once again. Finally in July 2009 the Sweet 69 had finally gotten to see daylight and come home... and since then (since i was now 17yrs old at the time and couple finally be able to drive it) i started wrenching on it, getting it to where we could drive... ha that part took about 3 months, but only took me a couple weeks to get the old motor to finally fire. It was no use, after countless days of troubleshooting, and nothing seemed to help get the motor to run right, we just broke down the whole engine and found several spun bearings, all (but 1) of the cam lobes where flat or not up to spec. and the list goes on... long story short me and dad pull the old '84 302 engine out from the corner of the shop (which came out of a 84 Crown Vic :shifty:) and started thinking of ideas for a good street/strip setup.. after about 2 weeks of internet reasearch, we decided on a 331 stroker in december, and thats when all the madness started. 4 months went by and its all finally back together, fully built and back in the car. April 25th i took it up to KCIR in Blue Spring Missiouri for a Lincoln Tech sponsored High School drags competition. Racing a car that had only a couple miles and 1 pass on a brand new motor, we were pretty much just playing one big guessing game after i made my 3 trial runs and trying to figure out a dial in was a mess... first trial run was a 14.37 (spun 80ft off the start) 2nd was 13.27 and 3rd was 12.85 hitting 106mph... after making a few phone calls i decided to set my dial in at 12.79... which 10 minutes later i changed to 12.70 just cause i had a feeling lol. long story short i made it to the finals and lost to a girl in a good looking chevy malibu... but she was good looking so i didnt care lol and that was my first ever bracket race. Left there with a Second place trophy and a $3000 scholarship to Lincoln Tech... never seen dad so proud lol.

SPECS:

this 331 is one amazing powerplant, and the first "built" motor that me and dad have ever built, running a full Scat balanced rotating assembly, 302 block bored .30 over, SRP (or JE) pistons, flat tops w/ 2 valve reliefs, all blueprinted (block, oil pump, waterpump etc.) and glypaled. the deck was milled .005", early 302 64cc heads with the biggest valves you can get, full roller Comp Cams valve train with a very big cam. dual roller chain, main gurtel, stud gurdel, dual valve springs, windage tray, oil restricters, MSD electronic ignition, Torker II intake, and a Edelbrock 600 carb. slapped to a built C4 tranny, going through a Ford 8" rear end with a 4.11 posi, sittin on 15" Billet Specialties Streetlites... enjoy (sorry for writing a book lol)

From start to finish

stang001.jpg

Sweet6910-1.jpg

Sweet6912-1.jpg

Sweet6915.jpg

Sweet6917-1.jpg

Sweet6918.jpg

Sweet6920-1.jpg

Sweet6921.jpg

Sweet6922.jpg

Sweet6928.jpg

Sweet6928.jpg