Sign in to follow this  
69mustang1

390 fe??

If it's a 70 390 it's from a pickup, or it could be a core shifted '70 428 block which still would have found it's way into a pickup since 69 was the last year for the 390 car engine. check the stroke to be sure it isn't a 360, the bore is the same as a 390, none of which matters if you weren't planing on using the crank or rods.

In any event yes the 1970 FE's are fine to build up, you'll have to drill and tap the heads to use anything other than 2bbl manifolds and a few things like that but it's all doable.

There are lots of part and performance parts for FE's, they're a great engine and can produce a lot of torque but not super horsepower unless you go to extremes. 450 horse is getting into the expensive area for a 390 if you're talking real HP and not internet chat HP, back it down to 400 and there are lots of options that will still be reasonable.

Edited by S code 69

FE's are cool motors, but if I were looking for a performance build, I would do a stroker small block long before an FE build. Cheaper parts, just as much if not more horsepower, more room between the shock towers, etc. The Cleveland strokers are making great horsepower these days.

I like FE's in cars where the car came that way, but the expense and hassle of building a 390FE as a swap candidate just aren't worth it to me.

FE's are cool motors, but if I were looking for a performance build, I would do a stroker small block long before an FE build. Cheaper parts, just as much if not more horsepower, more room between the shock towers, etc. The Cleveland strokers are making great horsepower these days.

I like FE's in cars where the car came that way, but the expense and hassle of building a 390FE as a swap candidate just aren't worth it to me.

I would have to agree.

Well I am going this AM to look at the motor. It is in a 70 LTD according to the owner. Less than 100k on it and runs nice. I would have to agree, a sbf stroked would do just fine, however, i already have one of those. Thus i feel its time to grow up to a big block and try that out. I was unaware of the need to drill out for a 4bbl manifold. He said he has some "crazy looking heads that will fit this motor that he just wants to get rid of. He said they are dual drilled to accept both types of exhaust manifolds. I assume he means the horizontal and veritical bolt patterns but will find out more this AM. I will post casting numbers if I can find them on both sets of heads and the block. Where do I find casting numbers on the block??

A local guru also told me he has seen alot of service replacement blocks come from ford bored 60 over and has had no problem with them. I would think a sonic test would be in order if going that far, any opinions?? thanks Eric

I think you can find the block number around where the motor mount is but that won't tell you for sure what size the motor is until you pull the head and scale it. On the other hand big blocks do get alot of attension when you pop the hood.

Edited by 02Lightning
spelling

I looked in my book and Ford did use the 390 in a few cars in 1970, I just figured since they dropped it in 70 for the mustang it carried for all models. chances are in a gandpa car like that it's exactly what he says it is, not much chance of anyone changing an engine in a car nobody has wanted in 30 years.

When I said drill and tap the heads, intakes are no problem, but if you've got GT heads that come with it you're set. you'll want the transmission too if you're going from a small block and using an auto, don't forget to change the shift arm to the floor shift style as well and that has to be done when it's rebuilt.

I had a 70 galaxie that had a 390 in it. They were used in full sized cars thru 1970. After that they went to 429s, 351s and eventually, 400Ms.

Remember that if you try and run headers with an FE, quite often the header bolts will be an interference fit with the shock towers. I lot of engine vibrations come into the cabin that way. I ended up pulling the headers off my 428 and putting manifolds back on. Also, power brake cars make changing the rear plugs an absolute joy.

Yes, there is certainly more of a wow factor, but I got over that a long time ago...LOL.

I went to look at the 390 its in an LTD everything looks correct for a land yaht. Was wondering if all the acc. brakets will work for the fastback?? Also while looking around the fellow said he had a torn down ford/mercury 410ci. Now this interested me as this is exactly what I wanted to do with the 390. From what i have learned a 410 is a factory stroked 390. Any insight as to the 410 motor? think I will try to get both engines. thanks Eric

If you can get the 410 with the flexplate/flywheel, and the harmonic balancer, you should be OK, as long as those items carry the same bolt patterns as the pulleys/torque converters that you want to use. Also, if you are rebuilding the motor and have to make some minor changes, the machine shop could re-balance things for you. Not sure if you can balance a 428 crank to be internally balanced. I don't know if there is enough material to work with there.

This is where a Ford friendly machine shop comes into play. Find one with a guy with grey hair in the back, that would be my advice...lol!

One guy that really really knows his FE motors is Barry Robotnik. He owns this business, and is writing a book on performance FE engines:

http://www.survivalmotorsports.com/