Sign in to follow this  
70vert

Anyone running a Summit/Northern 380463 radiator?

Hey all,

This could end up being a great bang-for-the-buck system, if you're willing to move the battery to the trunk, or it could just barely not work - I already own the fan and radiator, a Summit/Northern 380463 radiator and Flex-a-Lite FLX-210 dual low-profile puller 2500cfm fan. The shroud just about fits the core perfectly, at least if you cut loose the rubber gasket on the outer edge and push it inward a bit.

This is going to be really interesting, and it's going to be a total shoehorn fit if it fits. If it fits, (I'm doing this in a month or so) it could be a real nice setup for the '69-70. I took some measurements in the garage just now and here's how it stands: (current radiator is in, and I haven't done the box mock up yet)

-Frame rails are 27.5" inside frame rail to inside frame rail

-The distance between the flat part of both reservoirs on either side is just shy of 27", therefore:

-The reservoirs will sit on the frame rails, or on a thin rubber pad on the frame rails.

-My filler neck is canted off diagonally on the driver's side as per this photo, and the distance from the bottom of the reservoir to the topmost part of the neck is 19.25":

sum-380463_w.jpg

-I can use a cheap flat steel radiator cap that will add a few mm to this upper corner.

-It looks like the '70 hood has a nice thin indentation at the corner of the filler neck, or I can dab some grease on the neck after it's in and see where it touches the hood and cut a hole if it's part of the hood structure and not the hood surface.

-I set up a tape measure and, eyeballing 19.25" at the frame rail, I closed the hood and felt it just touch slightly and push the tape measure down when the hood closed.

This is gonna be interesting . . . I'm not totally adverse to notching the frame rails there, but moving the filler neck seems like the smart thing to do if need be.

I'm using this Summit/Flex-a-Lite matchup to avoid the horrendous cost of, say, a Be Cool kit. I want a low profile dual fan pulling serious CFM and the Flex-a-Lite 210 looks to be the ticket.