Sign in to follow this  
Horizon

Stock Coil Springs

I know I know....new guy and stupid thread. :surrender:

Anyway, I can't get these things out. I have both types of spring compressors and have never had this problem before. Frankly, I'm about to the point of just torching them but would like to try and resell to a purist if possible so that is the last resort.

Both spring compressors work fine, the problem lies in that I compress as much as possible and the spring STILL has a lot of pressure on the saddle, enough that I can't just force it out. Anyone else have this problem?

Oh yea....before I get smart remarks, it IS on stands. :whistling:

~Jeffrey

I used an internal spring compressor when I replaced mine. I had to make sure that the bottom fork and the top arms were as far out on the spring as possible. I compressed them as far as possible and then had to take the upper contol arms out to get the springs off. That is the first and only time I had ever done done it so I'm not sure if that was the correct way. But it worked. Hope this helps.

Rad,

Thanks for the advice...i used an internal AND external versions and no luck. I didn't have this problem with my 67 as they came right out. Anyway, I got them out yesterday with a BIG hammer. Not safe and would not recommend doing it that way, but was my last resort. Got the rest of the suspension out today, Wed the steering will come out and blast everything I'll reuse. Haven't decided if I'm stripping the chassis yet for paint or just reassembling with new stuff until I finish the motor (then I'll bust everything apart and do it in one shot).....depends on if I get the Harley I'm looking at.

~Jeffrey

I've used 1/2 steel pipe and some large washers to give the compressor some extra room before it bottoms out. Works well in my experience. Wrapping a chain around the spring and the control arm is also some good insurance. It's almost mandatory on certain Chevy spring removals