Sign in to follow this  
CavScout

Mechanical Fuel Pump Installation

Here is a case of a newbie getting over my head too quickly - while replacing the steering system (to Randalls Rack) I decided to replace the fuel pump since I noticed it was leaking last summer - I didn't do that much research into it as it looked pretty straightforward in the manuals. It came out easy enough but when I went to replace it with a new one - it doesn't fit in easily. Not wanting to over torque it and damage the pump - I put down the tools, backed away and went to the forum.

The pump appears to want to be about 1/2 inch lower. I check with the old pump and it looks to be at the same level.

My questions - should I have a lot of tension on the rocker arm? How much should the rocker arm move? Any tricks for getting it in correctly?

Thanks

There will be SOME pressure on the pump when you install it. Shouldn't be more than you can easily overcome with a touch of force. You might be fighting against the eccentric, and on the 'pump' side of the cam. rotate the engine by hand a half a turn and try it, then to a full turn, then to one and a half turns... one of those positions of the cam should make the pump install fairly easily.

Might be obvious, but since you are a self proclaimed newbie, compare the length of the arm on the new pump to the old pump by holding them together one facing left one facing right, arms toward eachother, to make sure you have the correct pump.

Thanks for the help - it was a case of the eccentric being in the wrong position. Just hit the starter a few times to find the right position and it went in smoothly. Of course, when I went to mount the new power steering pump on, I broke the water pump hole that is supposed to be part of the bracket.... and found out that my fuel line needed to be completely remade since the old one went where the new pump goes... got my crash course in bending steel fuel lines... but that is done and on the car. Now have to get the new water pump on.... all just to upgrade the steering to a Randalls Rack. Haven't even finished that yet.. my day job is getting in the way of the hobby of working on the car.