Sign in to follow this  
70mustangsal

1970 351c timing help!

ok very front valve on the passanger side is the exhaust valve for #1 cylinder, the second valve from the front is the intake valve for the #1 cylinder. Thats the one you need to watch. Rotate the engine until the intake valve opens (compresses the spring) and then closes (uncompresses the spring). Just after it closes, you should have to turn the engine almost a half a turn or so to get to TDC. line up your marks on the balancer to about 4 degrees BTDC and drop in the distributor with th e rotor pointing to the #1 mark, and wire your plugs accordingly. Should fire right up and you'll need to fine tune the timing at idle, with the vacuum hose removed from the distributor and plugged so it doesn't leak. Set the timing to 8 degrees BTDC at idle and you should be good to go. Make sure you re-hook up the vacuum line after you are done timing the engine.

just picked up an msd ready to run dist. (hope there not lying). i want to get rid of the pionts. hope that wont make it more difficult to set the timing. I owe you one for all your help. I will try to time this thing now. Just realized i have the wrong wires (not HEI). Is anything ever easy? not sure what to do now.\