Sign in to follow this  
unfrozen1969

storage of a raw mustang

The 69 convertible that I currently was purchased part through a restoration. The one floor is out, the whole car has been sand blasted and the rear quarters have been replaced. There is bare metal with some surface rust,e tc showing. There is a quantity of welding that is needed to be done. I was hoping to get the car welded and into primer before the winter, but the resoration place I went to says it will be close to $10,000 to get it that way, because he has to have good doors and quarters when doing the floor so it all lines up, etc. I told him that I don't have 10G's and I don't want to leave the car bare for too long. He suggested that I get a couple cans of WD40 and grease the whole car and store it away until I am ready to put some money into it. He stated that the grease will protect the car and when it is time to restore it, the whole will have to be blasted anyways.

Has anyone heard of this before? Am I better off doing this or buying cans of primer to spray the car. I do have a compressor and could buy some self etching primer to spray the car as well, at least it would be protected, etc. My game plan for this car is to collect parts for the next couple of years and then start building it when I have the money.

Any suggestions or comments.

Bill from Ottawa

bill,

i would either shoot a coat of ppg dx1791/2 wash primer or dp 90 lf (black) dp74lf (red oxide) epoxy primer on the car. DO NOT put any oil or wd-40 on that car !!!!! the painter will play hell getting that stuff off the metal & getting primer/paint on the car. then later on you will stand a great chance of the stuff bleeding out from edges & paint lifting. don't do the spray can primer either. it will all have to be stripped off when the real stuff is applied. the spray can etch primers are generally for small spot repairs. i personally don't trust a premixed in-the-can formula for a large area. put the good stuff on now & move forward, not backward in 6 months!:wink:

That is really good to know. I was a little curious about that recommendation of using WD40, and I didn't think of the issue of paint lift later on. I will look into the brands of primer that you mentioned. Is it expensive and does it go on with an ordinary spray gun and compressor.

Bill

A year ago the price of PPG DP50 (Light Grey) Epoxy Primer was $133.90 a gallon, and an additional #80.10 for the needed Catalyst. You might want to try PPG's ShopLine Series. Current price for a gallon of JP Series Epoxy Primer is $65.05 a gallon and $25.60 for 2 quarts of Hardener.