Sign in to follow this  
djs69stang

Holley carb question

Gazoo, got any more pics of the engine?

when i ran my carter 600 afb (same as e'brock) i used the stock air cleaner and it worked just fine. you can get a 90 degree fuel line fitting for it too, if it's too close. the bowls will not interfere with the air cleaner at all and the height of the carb is very close to a holley, i'd say within 1/8" or less, so it shouldn't affect the height of the shaker at all.

if your car is basically just a cruiser then the e'brock would be a great carb for you and you'll probably get better mileage with it over the holley as well. if you spend more time at the drags with the car and are looking for all out power then stay with the holley.....it sounds like your car is more of a cruiser so the e'brock may be the better bet for you.

i loved my carter carb and i really wish i hadn't sold it after i got the demon and had just kept it, it would make a nice carb for the cougar, as it is i decided to go with an early model autolite 4100 for the cougar for now since i want to keep a stock look under the hood, even though the correct carb for a 69 4v 351 is the autolite 4300, but the 4300 is such a crappy carb and the 4100 is a much better carb i went for the 4100

Holy Smokes! A friendly gear head let me borrow his Holley 650cfm and WOW. (See prev. portion of thread for why the different carb) For the first time since I got the 3.55's last Spring 2nd gear chirped! That's tight for an auto 3-speed. The engine is totally different, much more pop, response, speed (:<, oh yeah! I think I have been nursing this old carb for too long. Now it is time to look for a new carb! I will have to do some research and determine the brand (edel vs holley) and the 600 vs. 650.

Now it is time for my fellow gearheads to put their 2 cents in the offering and tell me what you think should grace my engine.

I have no idea what the internals are (cam, lift, compression, etc.) I can tell you it is a 302, Edelbrock 289 dual plane, undersize pulleys, tri-y headers. I do believe the cam is mildly wild. I have been to Holley's and Edelbrock's site and I know their recommendations.

But what really matters is those of you who have experienced the different carbs.

Fill me in Boooyyyzz!

I've used two different ones on my 390 in my mustang. It started out with an Edelbrock 1411 750cfm, and put on a Holley Street Avenger 770 later. I thought the Ebrock gave a crisper response, but the Holley sure seemed to give more power.

The Edelbrock is a neat design (it's the old Carter AFB), and uses a neat metering rod and jet system to calibrate cruise and power systems. A (I think) $40 box of assorted rods and jets makes dialing in your carb a very easy thing to do (you can even do it in a parking lot with one allen wrench).

I hate to admit it, but I think I like the Carter-style better than the Holley-style. I never did feel comfortable working on my Holley.

Edelbrock makes a 600cfm one, I would think that should be more than enough for a 302.

Holley makes a Street Avenger in a 570, 670, 770 and 870, I would think that the 570 might do you fine if you like Holleys.

Overcarbing is always fun, though, lol.

I've used two different ones on my 390 in my mustang. It started out with an Edelbrock 1411 750cfm, and put on a Holley Street Avenger 770 later. I thought the Ebrock gave a crisper response, but the Holley sure seemed to give more power.

The Edelbrock is a neat design (it's the old Carter AFB), and uses a neat metering rod and jet system to calibrate cruise and power systems. A (I think) $40 box of assorted rods and jets makes dialing in your carb a very easy thing to do (you can even do it in a parking lot with one allen wrench).

I hate to admit it, but I think I like the Carter-style better than the Holley-style. I never did feel comfortable working on my Holley.

Edelbrock makes a 600cfm one, I would think that should be more than enough for a 302.

Holley makes a Street Avenger in a 570, 670, 770 and 870, I would think that the 570 might do you fine if you like Holleys.

Overcarbing is always fun, though, lol.

What is the pros/cons of overcarbing? Worse fuel mileage? If it gives me more punch/fun than the 650 sounds like the most I should go. I have looked at those Street Avengers which sound totally hot. I understand the Edelbrock has smaller fuel bowls than Holley, any times of hot/boiling gas? I like the idea of bolt and go with Edelbrock, I am tired of removing that shaker to make adjustments. Of course, with a new Holley I may not need to make adj. And the reasoning goes back and forth and back and forth.:tongue_smilie:

The problem I had with overcarbing was I had a very hard time keeping the car running. When I thought I had it right it would crap out and stall when the weather would change. I'm not going to tell you which carb would be best but I would go to the Edelbrock website and match up the engine to the best carb. I'm sure Holley has the same on their website... I know if you over carb your just wasting $$$$$ Buy new if you are tired with playing with rebuilts....

i'd look into a 625cfm E'brock carb or a 625 Road Demon or Road Demon Jr. i have a 625 Road Demon on my 351w and it's a great carb, for a mild 302 like yours the Road Demon Jr might be a better choice, you might even do good with a 525 Jr too and get better mileage as well. the Demon carbs are slightly higher than a comparable Holley or E'brock but not my much and in some cases you can even find them a little cheaper too.

The survey is over, I am going Edelbrock with the new carb. Everyone says that once they put it on, no troubles since. I even talked to some Chevy guys. Sounds like the 600cfm is the best bet also. The bigger is better "theory" sure is tempting. But everyone I have talked with says 600 cfm for the 302 unless I am producing a hp over 300 and I am not. Will be back with the results.