Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69GT

Body work question

I have a question about my doors. I am finally diving into getting my car ready to paint and I have the passenger side door pulled off and im going around pounding out the dents. To get a dolly behind the dents im having to take off that sound deadening/tar stuff. I was wondering if those of you who have done this already just decided to take it all off and seal it with something like por15 or what you did.

Ive found a few sections where the tar started coming off by itself and there is surface rust beneath it but everywhere else ive scraped it off looks like nice clean metal.

My other question even though im getting ahead of myself is, does anyone sell new windshield gaskets? The places ive looked stop at 68 and leave out 69. Also, my windshield has a small crack in it that might be too big to fix and on top of that I was going to remove the windshield for painting so there is the risk of it cracking further. I havent seen anyone who makes new windshields for 69 either. Anyone know where I could find these parts?

any windshield shop will have or can get a new windshield, usually around $150-200 installed, there is not a windshield gasket on the 69-up cars, they use an adhesive sealer. as for the undercoating i'd remove it and prep the metal then spray on a good sealer primer and re-apply more undercoating, don't forget to do new seam sealer as well.

I had thought about using primer on the door but due to the limited access there is to get a gun inside the door, I wasn't sure I could go that route.

I didn't know the 69 windshields were glue in.