Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boogerschnot

What to do about a rust hole?

I have finally started on body work, after rebuilding the engine and refinishing the engine bay. I still have to put in a new suspension and bushings which I dont have yet, but after tax returns,, hopefully they will be on their way. Anyway, I was knocking out some small rust spots before they could get bad, and found one bubble that was about the diameter of an ink pen, knocked it out and found a hole behind it. It was in the bottom rear of the passenger sids quarter pannel about even with the center of the wheel.. So I hit it with some rust converter inside the hole and out and just let it be.. I also found some bondo on the pass side door bottom and more just behind the headlamp bucket. Someone had actually cut out part of the fender and just putty'd together the bucket to the fender.. Not a bad job but it cracked where it attached to the fender..

So what to do?? do I buy a patch for the quarter panel and put in new metal or can that type of a little hole be welded shut? Same for the fender, Patch or just replace with a repo that way I have a full fender not a patched up one..

Any suggestions?

wire brush inside and out clean out all the rust (get down to bare metal) if it is smaller than a dime yes you can weld it closed with a mig gun, a better solution would be to replace with new metal and weld it in

I agree with red on this one about the dime sized hole. What I have found very useful though when filling small holes is I use 18 gauge sheet metal shavings from my electric shears. basically 1/4 by a foot steel that I can use like a filler rod on TIG but with my MIG gun.

Steve.