Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

69GT

Rack & Pinion Pump

I have a question for you guys. I just finished my install of Randall's Rack and Pinion and to try and save a few bucks I went ahead and kept my old power steering pump. I now see why they recommend upgrading the pump, the old pump just doesnt put out as much as the rack wants.

I was wondering, due to the price Randall wants for a pump ($399) I was wondering if I could somehow adapt a late model ford pump to mount in place of my old one giving the rack the extra pressure it wants? I was doing some research and it looks like from about 79 or so on ford used the same pump for just about everything. I was looking at the 3 bolts where it looks like the pump would mount and I think its almost if not exactly the same as the 69 pump. Has anyone heard of doing this or has anyone tried it?

atp6142003.jpg

atp6383003.jpg

Isn't the Randalls rack some variant of a GM rack? Perhaps a pump rebuilder could tell you if the pressures are different than a Ford rack.

I devised my own R&P using an 87 Taurus rack. It works fine with my stock pump.

Speedway motors has KRC pumps and mounting brackets, the same stuff Total Control uses with their rack, at about half the price. Its a clean and compact setup that would probably work well.

Wow, the prices really arent bad at all. Only thing I would have to find out would be what size fitting the rack has on the pressure hose and I would have to find a place to mount the reservoir. Drivers side inner fender is currently housing a Fram fuel filter and MSD box although im sure theres plenty of room.