Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

burritoboi5

Mustang II

Hey all....I'm trying to figure out some front suspension and steering issues. And am seriously thinking a mustang II conversion will be in my future. I want power discs all around and will probably end up with manual steering but for about 600 more than a conventional rebuild/replace I get rack and pinion steering with discs and the better ride quality. What do you all think?

i wouldn't do it. the mII suspension isn't any better than the stock suspension and with a little work the original can work so much better, the big thing is to do the 1" (or more with modified UCA's) UCA drop, roller spring perches and lower control arm with spherical bearing, aftermarket strut rods and better shocks and the stock suspension will work so well you'll wonder ford didn't do it in the first place. or if you want to spend about the same money as an MII conversion you can get better coilover style setup.

www.classicperform.com is working on a kit that replaces the stock lower control arms and strut rods with an actual A-arm, tubular even, that looks promising and it will be 100% bolt in as well and not much more than just some aftermarket strut rods. check out the Nova kit, it's very similar to what the final Mustang piece will look like

http://www.classicperform.com/NewProducts/2006/NewFiles/NovaSubFrame.htm

also the MII will compromise the integrity of the frontend and weaken it considerably since the original triangulates into the firewall and most of the forces are spread out between the framerails, shock towers and firewall. the MII puts all of those forces into the thin sheetmetal frame rails and they were never designed to take those kinds of loads. i've ridden in a couple early stangs that MII conversions done and the ride sucks, especially going over railroad track or similarly rough roads and the cowl shake is worse than any fox body vert i've ever ridden in.

oh, i've also recently discovered this kit that looks pretty cool as well, combine this with the complete front end kit from CPP and you'd have a really nice modern suspension that doesn't require butchering the car.

i'm seriously considering going this route on the 69 cougar if the budget will allow it and some sort of 3 or 4 link rear as well.

Hmm. Well I guess that rules out the Mustang II kit. Is the coilover kit similiar to this one though?

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/Suspension/coil_over_spring_conversion.htm

no, i forgot the link, sorry, this is the one i was referring to.

http://www.casuspension.com/pages/PRODUCTSPAGE.html

though the TCP or global west would be really awesome.

That's really cool. THanks for the info. I am especially interested in the global west kit. So I'll probably call them on monday and look into the pricing on that kit. Then just rebuild the steering to be stock. And maybe a year or so down the road upgrade to some disc brakes. A four link rear would be nice though.....

That's really cool. THanks for the info. I am especially interested in the global west kit. So I'll probably call them on monday and look into the pricing on that kit. Then just rebuild the steering to be stock. And maybe a year or so down the road upgrade to some disc brakes. A four link rear would be nice though.....

gotcha covered on the discs too.

www.discbrakeswap.com it's a granada conversion kit but every single part is brand new including the spindles, these are not reconditioned junkyard spindles but brand new castings.

www.totalcontrolproducts.com also has the rear 4 link you want. you'll have to download the rear suspension catalog because it's not listed on the website but you can get the catalog there, though. it's called the G-Bar and it's essentially the Air Ride Tech rear Air Bar with coilovers instead of air bags, last i checked it was running around 1100 bucks, not bad at all really and probably the lowest priced bolt in 4 link you'll find that's worth a damn, the rod and custom rear 4 link looks like crap to me.

sweet....I'll probably end up doing the front end stuff now and deal with the rear afterwords. But all in all I want coilovers front and rear and discs too.

how soon are you going to do this? it seemed from your post that you were still a few months out on the front end. the front suspension kit i posted from classic performance won't be out for another couple months yet, but it looks worth the wait to me.

Well it all depends on how much I can get done before I go to college. Which will be august 15. But hopefully I will be able to start bolting on suspension parts within the next two weeks.....hopefully :sailor: