Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

icebluestang

Idleing issue

Hello.

I have a 2 barrel Motocraft 2100 carb that is giving me issues. I can not get the motor to idle. The car will fire up and then die. It will also stay running if the rpms are up high approx 3000. The carb was takin down and cleaned well with new gaskets installed. The vacum line in the rear of the carb is plugged. The vacum line to the distributor is hooked up but the distributor advance unit doesn't move. The bowl fills up with fuel and the jets spray. I played with the air/fuel screws and no luck. Any ideas or suggestions?

Hmmm....I had the same problem on my honda because the idle jet was clogged. So I took it apart and let it all soak in carb cleaner overnight, then blew everything out with high pressure air. It worked for me. Any chance you have a buddy with a carb you can swap on and see if it fixs your problem?

Here is the update:

I think I have a vacum leak somewhere. The motor will idle when the choke is held closed but once I let go and the choke opens up the motor will die. I narrowed it down a bit and I don't have to keep the rpms up high for it to run anymore. Just have to look further into the leak.

That was gonna be my other solution......you could do the butane torch to find the leak, just open a butane torch without lighting it of course, and while the motor is running, just let some gaz flow around the base of the carburator, if the idle changes, it's because you have a carburator leak, cuz the butane being sucked in will change the RPM.....let us know what you find out...i kinda have the same problem, but mine is a brand new Holley 650 on a freshly rebuilt 351W with a hot cam. It performed flawlessly on the dyno, but after tuning the carb, i started having no idle at all and it would stall all the time when i let go the gaz pedal...i think i have a faulty plug...so i'm gonna change them all and see what happens..