Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ForceFed70

Steering colum woes.

So I'm putting the finishing touches on my auto to T5 swap in my 1970 Grande, but have run into steering colum problems. I believe this is the stock tilt colum originally for an automatic.

I had to remove the colum for access to the pedal assembly. And must not have re-installed it properly. Basically what happens is that the steering wheel turns and you can feal some resistance/binding but the shaft end that attaches to the steering box/rag joint isn't turning.

When I removed the colum, part of the shaft stayed attached to the steering box via the rag joint. It was about 16" long and was "D" shaped on the end that went into the colum. I left it attached via rag joint to the steering box and when it came time to put the colum back in, I just slipped this shaft back into the colum. The fit seemed good, but I'm pretty sure this is where my problem is. The two pieces of the shaft arn't properly connected inside of the colum.

Anyone have any advice for how to fix this? What did I do wrong here?

are you it's not the rag joint slipping? or rather the sahft slipping inside the rag joint. the tilt column takes a special rag joint and if some previous owner installed the tilt column they may not have used the correct rag joint. the double d shaft shouldn't slip at all so i don't think that's your problem.

are you it's not the rag joint slipping? or rather the sahft slipping inside the rag joint. the tilt column takes a special rag joint and if some previous owner installed the tilt column they may not have used the correct rag joint. the double d shaft shouldn't slip at all so i don't think that's your problem.

Now I'm confused.

I did replace the rag joint when I took the colum out. But I can't see how the rag joint would cause this problem. We're talking about the part that couples the shaft to the steering box right? I only replaced the rubber "rag" part and not the rest of the pieces, tho I suppose it's possible that it's slipping. I'll have to look a little more closely to verify.

I don't think the shaft itself is slipping, I'm worried that the 2 parts of the shaft aren't coupled properly (1 shaft slides inside the other is my guess on how these shafts join together).

Got it fixed last night.

It was a problem with the coupling of the 2 shafts inside of the colum. Turns out there is just enough room inside the colum to fit the shafts side by side (instead of having 1 shaft slide inside of the other).

Thanks for your help.