Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BuckeyeBOSS

Mark VIII fan into a 1969?

I'm thinking about putting a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan in my 1969 Mustang with a 468. I ordered an aluminum radiator already to replace my current leaking steel one.

Anyone have a clue as to the wiring and relays, etc involved in installing a Mark VIII fan in a 69? I know a 130 amp alternator is a must, but as for the actual wiring, I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks.

I'm thinking about putting a Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan in my 1969 Mustang with a 468. I ordered an aluminum radiator already to replace my current leaking steel one.

Anyone have a clue as to the wiring and relays, etc involved in installing a Mark VIII fan in a 69? I know a 130 amp alternator is a must, but as for the actual wiring, I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks.

I did a little digging last night. I found a few write ups with guys suggesting various relays and diodes and such. Probably the best bet though is what 69in2006 was refering to with a fan controller that senses the water temp and constantly controls fan speed. There are a few different ones that are available, but I'm not sure of the advantages and disadvantages of each yet. I'll keep this thread updated as I go. Thanks for the posts guys.

I did a little digging last night. I found a few write ups with guys suggesting various relays and diodes and such. Probably the best bet though is what 69in2006 was refering to with a fan controller that senses the water temp and constantly controls fan speed. There are a few different ones that are available, but I'm not sure of the advantages and disadvantages of each yet. I'll keep this thread updated as I go. Thanks for the posts guys.

Well, after pricing out some relays, temp sensors and such suggested on various sites, I decided to just go with the Delta Current FK35 kit. I emailed them and they said it has everything needed and it comes with a temp sensor, etc. It's everything in 1 package and not much more $ than buying all the parts separate and making your own setup. The extra few dollars is worth it to me for the convenience of their kit.

Well, after pricing out some relays, temp sensors and such suggested on various sites, I decided to just go with the Delta Current FK35 kit. I emailed them and they said it has everything needed and it comes with a temp sensor, etc. It's everything in 1 package and not much more $ than buying all the parts separate and making your own setup. The extra few dollars is worth it to me for the convenience of their kit.

What type of temp sensor is used? Some of the cheaper kits use a sensor that you are supposed to wedge in between radiator fins. These are much easier to install but often give inaccurate temp readings.

Is the MarkVIII a 2 speed fan like the taurus fan?

What type of temp sensor is used? Some of the cheaper kits use a sensor that you are supposed to wedge in between radiator fins. These are much easier to install but often give inaccurate temp readings.

IIRC the mkVII is a variable speed fan. they can move some air too, in fact at full speed it would probably fly like a helicopter if it wasn't bolted down to something.

IIRC the mkVII is a variable speed fan. they can move some air too, in fact at full speed it would probably fly like a helicopter if it wasn't bolted down to something.

Here's the link to the kit: http://www.dccontrol.com/

"Delta fast response temperature sensor

Mounting the temperature sensor

Figure 1 a shows the Delta temperature sensor. Its low mass, high friction housing and high flex multi strand wiring loom provide a fast response time and convenient mounting, requiring no retaining mechanism. Simply insert the sensor from the engine side between the radiator fins to the point that the ridge on the back of the sensor is flush with the radiator fins and the mounting is complete. Unlike other control systems, the DCC fan control operates most accurately when the temperature is indicated downstream from the cooling fan."

"I haven't had much luck with radiator sensors, how is yours different ? Radiator sensors have attained a fairly bad reputation for reliability, but the problem is design, not concept. Other sensors of this type are made of copper, which has virtually no resiliency, to make matters worse, most are coupled to a freon filled tube in order to operate a mechanical switch. Radiator materials also have no resiliency, so regardless of how large the sensor is made, it will always work loose. The DCC sensor uses a resilient coating that is not only flexible, but actually conforms to your radiator as it's heated, moreover, a high strand count wire is used for flexibility in order to reduce mechanical stress on both the sensor and radiator. Because of these attributes, a very small sensor can be used, so there is no damage to the radiator from installation."

As said above, the Mark VIII fans are variable. I have seen anywhere from 4000-5000 cfm listed for the Mark VIII fans, most say about 4300 cfm.

Figure 1 a shows the Delta temperature sensor. Its low mass, high friction housing and high flex multi strand wiring loom provide a fast response time and convenient mounting, requiring no retaining mechanism. Simply insert the sensor from the engine side between the radiator fins to the point that the ridge on the back of the sensor is flush with the radiator fins and the mounting is complete. Unlike other control systems, the DCC fan control operates most accurately when the temperature is indicated downstream from the cooling fan."

"I haven't had much luck with radiator sensors, how is yours different ? Radiator sensors have attained a fairly bad reputation for reliability, but the problem is design, not concept. Other sensors of this type are made of copper, which has virtually no resiliency, to make matters worse, most are coupled to a freon filled tube in order to operate a mechanical switch. Radiator materials also have no resiliency, so regardless of how large the sensor is made, it will always work loose. The DCC sensor uses a resilient coating that is not only flexible, but actually conforms to your radiator as it's heated, moreover, a high strand count wire is used for flexibility in order to reduce mechanical stress on both the sensor and radiator. Because of these attributes, a very small sensor can be used, so there is no damage to the radiator from installation."

As said above, the Mark VIII fans are variable. I have seen anywhere from 4000-5000 cfm listed for the Mark VIII fans, most say about 4300 cfm.

like i said HELICOPTER!!!!!!!!

Funny thing is, I was at Lowe's and saw this after I ordered the elec fan for the car, made me laugh....

5700 CFM/up to 1900 square feet of living space

Pulls in fresh air from the outside to cool your home

046388145438md.jpg

Funny thing is, I was at Lowe's and saw this after I ordered the elec fan for the car, made me laugh....

5700 CFM/up to 1900 square feet of living space

Pulls in fresh air from the outside to cool your home

046388145438md.jpg

Hey guys sorry about the delay..finally found the information..found this information in a Car Tech book simply called How to Build Ford Restomod Street Machines..2 ways to wire it..first way use 75 amp Bosch relay and atleast 10 gauge wire and use diodes in power and ground sides to prevent damage to relay when fan is freewheeling..the other way seems much easier install a Delta Current Control variable current controller..in either case it also states the required use of 135a alternator...checkout www.RaceHome.com/mark8.htm

Hey guys sorry about the delay..finally found the information..found this information in a Car Tech book simply called How to Build Ford Restomod Street Machines..2 ways to wire it..first way use 75 amp Bosch relay and atleast 10 gauge wire and use diodes in power and ground sides to prevent damage to relay when fan is freewheeling..the other way seems much easier install a Delta Current Control variable current controller..in either case it also states the required use of 135a alternator...checkout www.RaceHome.com/mark8.htm