Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam3512

Top Down - Problem!

Put the top down today and when putting it back up the hydrolic pump or line pissed fluid all over the inside of the car and on the driveway. Can't seem to pinpoint the exact spot for the leak, but its on the driverside hydrolic next to the rear seat. Who can I go to to repair this kind of thing? Don't have the knowledge or time to tackle this one.

This is one of the easiest repairs you will ever make on your car and it will be good training for future projects. The greatest probability is that the nylon hoses that run from the pump to the cylinder on the driver's side of the car have cracked with age (mine did the same thing immediately after I bought the car) and need to be replaced. The hoses cost around $75 for a set IIRC. You pull the back seat and the rear side panels. You'll need an allen wrench to remove the rear window crank handles and a phillips screwdriver to remove the rear panels. The hoses are attached at each end with a small hex fitting. Get yourself some rags or paper towels to catch any hydraulic fluid (power steering fluid) that might still be in the system and loosen all eight fittings. You might as well do both sides while your at it. Remove the hoses and replace them with the new pieces. Tighten everything up and pull the rubber plug at the top of the center pump unit. Using a funnel pour in some power steering fluid and then operate the the top. Check for any other leakage and for bubbles in the semi-opaque lines. Remove the rubber plug again and top up the system. Operate the roof a couple of additional times to try to remove the air in the lines. Check the pump reservoir and top up as necessary. Re-install the side panels, window cranks and rear seat. You're done!

Thanks Ragtop. I just bought new lines and cylinder pistons to install. Might as well replace it all as the PO put in a new motor also. Is the main pump located in the trunk for filling fluid? I was told by a convertible top guy willing to do this for me (with my help) to leave some air in the lines since the pressure is so high. Is this true?

I've never heard about leaving air in the lines. It would seem to compromise the whole purpose of hydraulic control. The air bubbles would tend to make the top operate in a jerky manner. Anyway, the center pump is located behind the rear seat. There are access holes in the sheet metal behind the seat that allows you to get to the pump. I suppose you could reach it from the trunk too, but you would have to get around the cardboard storage boot for the top when it's in the down position. That could be really akward. Are you sure you need the cylinders too? Those are pretty expensive and it's usually the lines that fail. Your call, though.

Thanks for the additional info. I figured I'd rather get the cylinders and replace all at once. There's a March Maddness sale at Mustangs Unlimited now. Cylinders were $99.00 with 10% off each. Roughly $80.00 each.

Anyone interested in this sale, go to this site and order:

www.mustangsunlimited.com/springsale06/

It will bring you to their regular site, but deduct 10% when you place the order. I saved about $35.00 on all the stuff. Orders have to be over $100.00.