Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70vert

Shorter rear? (may be ordering 8.8 from Currie)

Ok,I've currently been obsessing about rear ends aren't we all. ;-) Reason is that I'm soon going to be doing one of the Evolution Motorsports Watt's Links and I don't want to have that welded to my original 8" since it's just going to come off pretty soon anyway.

I've also decided based on research on stangnet and corner-carvers that a torque biasing soft locker like the Torsen T2R would be more my style. A street car that can handle like a race car without being brutal and that may see the track eventually is what I'm after. tall order, I know.

The Torsen http://torsen.com/products/T-2R.htm dictates an 8.8 rear so that's where I'm going. I'm looking at this bad boy in the same width: http://currieenterprises.com/cestore...E.aspx?id=1786

The performance axles seem like a good investment here as well.

So here's the question - the custom width has me thinking - should I go shorter to fit some 295s in there in the future?

I have looked at putting a Fox 8.8 in there, but it just looks like too much hassle to go from 4 lug to 5 lug, clean up all the spring perches, hardware, etc., and I would upgrade the axles eventually too . . .

While a shorter axle will allow you to run a wheel with less backspace, the axle width wouldn't necessarilly allow you to run wider tires. You would have to look into opening up the inner fender itself for more meat.

If you're looking for wider tires, you can roll the fender lip. That'll give you some room if you're close. After that I think the inner fender and then the leaf springs become the next obstructions.

Your best bet is to get out there with a measuring tape and even a framing square. Everyone's car is going to be a little different.

and I kind of remember that result from our last go-around with this subject, the "greater than 275 rear" discussion. I was hoping something had occurred to someone in the meantime.

I'm not interested in doing anything bodywise at this point, so if our stock 59.25" axle width, 5.5 backspace wheel, 275 tire is more or less smack dab in the middle of our inner wheel well and fender lip, I'll just end up ordering the axle in the stock width.

The hassle of shortening the Fox 8.8 would seem to make it not worth it - if I'm right in the middle now, why push it out farther?

now if anyone has any Torsen or stronger-axle input (given a target of 500hp) that would be cool. :wink:

Any reason you don't want to go to a 9" rear? I just picked up a 31 spline 3.50 trac-lok from a bronco site for $100. Quite a steal, but those Bronco guys dump the Trac-Loks like ugly girls.

If you check out the original post, I mentioned that the Torsen dictated an 8.8" rear - they don't do a 9, or at least not anymore.

Anyway, that's old history now, as I'm looking at a Black Gold since it fits in a 9", and either a Currie Track 9 or a 9" with aluminum center section (for unsprung weight savings and to help cool off the hot gear-driven torque biasing diff). The extra cost of the Black Gold gives me more choice in rear ends. And I am picky about rear ends. ;-)

So that's where it's at now. I'd just order in a custom width and I'm not convinced that I should go any shorter - Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

That's right, I wasn't thinking about that link when I posted that.

Being picky about rears is always a smart move, you'll be happier in the end!

To answer your question about width, would a custom width cost you any more? It's probably not worth it unless you want to have deeper or shallower backspacing on your wheels. That's only a looks issue. If it's irrelavent, then just go with a stock width.

personally i'm going to use a detroit tru-trac in mine, eventyally. the black gold is an awesome diff but i seem to remember it's not really recommended for street use. i could be wrong about but i swear i read that somewhere

personally i'm going to use a detroit tru-trac in mine, eventyally. the black gold is an awesome diff but i seem to remember it's not really recommended for street use. i could be wrong about but i swear i read that somewhere

I just reread the Corner Carvers post with that title, "Problems with Gold Trak on the street" (same as black gold) and it looks like it is just a maintenance issue - the preload needs adjustment every 8-12 races, wonder how that would translate into street miles? It seemed like the only drawback on the street was the servicing, not any performance . . .