Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2001PonyGT

Manual into Auto

I am looking for a 1969-70 Mustang and was running into trouble when all of the Manual cars I saw were priced so much higher for some reason. Someone had the idea that I should buy an auto and convert it to a stick. Is this ridiculously hard and pricy or is it possible to do and will it make the car look like an original 3 or 4 speed?

My first Mach1 i had i converted to a 4 speed from a auto, Just rememeber it was 1985 and i was abale to buy alot of the shift mechanism from ford,But i know they remanufacture it now,You will need to convert your pedal asemble and your brake pedal to a 4 speed typeand drill a 1 inch hole in fire wall for the rod to go thru to the equilizer bar or z bar as they call them,and if you have a console youll need to change that,The console are different for a auto and a stick

My first Mach1 i had i converted to a 4 speed from a auto, Just rememeber it was 1985 and i was abale to buy alot of the shift mechanism from ford,But i know they remanufacture it now,You will need to convert your pedal asemble and your brake pedal to a 4 speed typeand drill a 1 inch hole in fire wall for the rod to go thru to the equilizer bar or z bar as they call them,and if you have a console youll need to change that,The console are different for a auto and a stick

while the consoles are a bit different if you plan on converting to late model 5 speed you'll be better off with an auto console anyway as you'll have to modify the manual trans console to work with the different shifter location of the new trans.