Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkBuddha

Wheel choices for my '70 Mach1

Well, since this forum has been changed into a photochop forum, I thought I'd post these. I've been considering different wheel choices lately, so I did up some photochops of the ones I'm considering. It's not my car, but it's been modified to capture the looking I'm going for. Whatch'all think?

Ya'll know these...

machcoys5wf.jpg

American Racing Saltflats that I'd modify by polishing the spokes:

machsaltflats2pc.jpg

'03 Mach 1 wheels, which would require a 1" spacer:

machmachs0ob.jpg

Hotwheel Sixty-Eights that I'd modify by painting the inserts between the spokes:

machhotwheels9tu.jpg

Hot damn, a reply! Thanks for the feedback. I like the saltflats, but I think they're gonna end up being a bit beyond my budget. I like the 68s quite a bit as well, but I think I really want the '03 Mach wheels. I love the machined finish. Still, for the money, the 68s are close to the same look and don't require spacers. Hmmm...

Yeh i like the saltflats and the 03 mach rims. But the last ones might be interesting if you paint the inserts.

The 03's are they chrome? If i had it to do over again my rims would be chrome.

Well now I've been thinking about going with a set of 16" Cragar S/S, for nostagia's sake. The car had Cragars on it when I bought it and it was one of the things I really liked about it. Hmmm... I need to think about this.

Otherwise:

Well, Wyatt i know you've been wanting the machs for quite a while, so just go with those. if you do the MS cobra brake kit, or the new one from randalls rack you won't need the spacers anymore.

Yeah, I think I agree. I'm just gonna need to pony up the cash and go for it. I've realized the car is on hold again for a bit, so I'll have extra time to get some more stuff together. I'm going back to Tampa in December and hope to get to work on it a bit them. If it's progressing nicely, maybe I'll make a Mustang Steve or Randall kit my own gift and hope my wife scores the wheels/tires for me.

BTW, I recently emailed Randall and he mentioned to keep an eye out for his coilover front kit soon. If it's as reasonably priced as everything else he sells, it could be a kick ass upgrade for the money.

The 03's are they chrome? If i had it to do over again my rims would be chrome.

No, they're not chrome, but a machined finish (which I actually prefer over chrome). I actually think they're clearcoated too. And since they're OEM, Ford did all the homework on durability and maintenance, so the should be good for my driver requirements. They should be easy to keep looking good with a simple wash. I don't want something too high maintenance, so I'm a bit wary of polished and chromed wheels.

yeah as much as you and i pimp Randall's stuff we should get free parts huh? but seriously i like the way his stuff is designed and it looks like he's put plenty of thought into it and for the money i don't think there is a better product out there.

Have you seen the cragar copies by pacer. They may not be the biggest brand out there but my 69 came with them on it and I like how it kind of sets my stang apart since almost everybody around here uses american racing aluminum ss styles. I think the chrome wheels look so much better (way cheaper too). I also like the slight shape differences of the pacers better than the cragars so I guess I lucked out since they came on the car. But as far as I know, pacer does not do that backspacing thing to fit super big rubbber under your car like american racing, cragar has started doing this depending on what size you need. I can still fit all I need under there due to the fact that I think mustangs look sweet jacked up on a set of air shocks!