Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purple Mach One

AOD Transmission rebuild

Hey Guys. My 1969 Ford Mustang Mach One is at the tranny shop. Right the rear end is getting repaired. So that get me time to think about the transmission. I purchased a video no how to rebuild an AOD. It's pretty basic doesn't get into much detail on how the parts work. Anyhow, I am learning some on how a transmission is put together. Ok, my question. What shift kit would you recommend for my AOD setup. I have a 377 stroker engine with a B303 cam. I have a Holley 750 Double Pumper Carb and AFR 185cc heads. What do you guys think about the Trans Go shift kit?

Hey, guys. I want find out what all of you think, should an AOD kickdown at half or full throttle at 55 mph? I kind like the idea of the transmission kicking down at half throttle to get extra torque to pass a vehicle quickly. But if I set the T.V. cable that way will I shorten the lifespan of the transmission?

Well. I found out Friday(3-11-05) that the AOD on my car was being installed. Everything has been replaced including the Lentech valve body. They put in a brand new Ford AOD Valvebody with a Trans Go shift kit and valve body springs to give firms shifts at different throttle speeds. A hardened two-piece input put shaft was installed for street driven durability and a Dalenzie Lock-up torque converter, no size specified. They told me a one piece wouldn't be suitable for street use because it creates a lot heat inside the transmission no matter if you have an external transmission cooler installed. The only time a person would need a one-piece input shaft is in racing situations where full-throttle is going to applied all the time. In my case, a one-piece wouldn't last on a two hour road trip and creates more wear and tear inside the transmission. I also got new clutch kit as well. Now I'm waiting for the new driveshaft to be installed and have it calibrated correctly with the proper modifications, shifter bushings need to be installed to take the shifter play on the handle. Later on, I'll install the B&M Hammer shifter. I'll keep you guys on any updates

Well. Finally got the car back from the trans shop. The car was road tested on Wednesday of this week and responded on each shift. Each shift is crisp and firm-not like someone rearended each time. They also eliminated the overdrive delete switch from Lentech. So now it automatically kicks into overdrive after 50 mph. Now, I have to get on the carburetor and all the unfinished work that has to be done.

"Everything still good with the car?" by Mustang Zeke.

Hey Mustang Zeke. How are you doing? The 69 Mach One is so-so right now. I am on my third carburetor. I purchased a Speed Demon 650 Vacuum Secondary carburetor from Summit. It ran well for a week and a half and then started sputtering and smoking like crazy so I took to a shop to have it cleaned out and there was aluminum shavings inside the carb that went as far back to the vacuum secondaries. I just picked it up today, and it idles smoothly but on the high side after warm up. That is the story so far. The transmission shifts so much better with the Demon than the Holley Double Pumper and the zinc plated 750 Holley Carb that I purchased when the engine was first built-never was a good carb from the beginning. I think the Holley was too much carb. I have to get a new air conditioning system, alarm, brakes and especially align the doors and quarter windows.