Len69Coupe

What's this wire for?

Starting to reinstall some of the car and I can't remember what this blue with red strip wire connects to. I've scoured wiring diagrams and my photos I took during disassembly and can't figure it out. It's in the harness that connects to the w/s wiper motor, reverse lights and coil. It's pretty chewed up so hopefully I remove it completely.

2020-03-28 14.05.18.jpg

2 hours ago, Len69Coupe said:

Starting to reinstall some of the car and I can't remember what this blue with red strip wire connects to. I've scoured wiring diagrams and my photos I took during disassembly and can't figure it out. It's in the harness that connects to the w/s wiper motor, reverse lights and coil. It's pretty chewed up so hopefully I remove it completely.

2020-03-28 14.05.18.jpg

That one goes to transmission tunnel on my car, I think it is the shifter light plug.

25 minutes ago, Len69Coupe said:

Shifter light plug? Would that be a neutral safety switch or something like that?

I put a T5 in and I'm still trying to figure out how to install a neutral safety switch for the T5.

Neutral safety switch and reverse light plug is the square 4 pin plug (the one you have blue masking tape on it). The one pin plug you are asking about lights up the light inside the shifter when you turn the parking/head lights on. don't know much about T5 but if you want safety switch for T5, I would put a clutch pedal activated switch so it will crank only when the clutch pedal is pressed in. You can connect that switch to correct pins on the square 4 pin plug. You can also connect the T5 reverse light switch (if it has one) to the right pins on the square 4 pin plug to activate reverse lights when in reverse.

Thanks for the response fellas. The car was a 3 speed manual, so maybe it wasn't hooked up to anything. Sure is chewed up though.

I bought the T5 reverse light pigtail. I removed the 3 speed reverse light connector and am soldering the new pigtail to the old reverse light harness. That part is pretty straight forward.

The T5 has a neutral safety switch (NSS) on the trans. I'm guessing the 3 speed did also because I don't see any kind of clutch pedal NSS switch.  I'm using the painless wiring harness since I've converted the inline 250 six cylinder to an EFI 302. There are instructions on hooking up the NSS that came with the Painless instructions, it's just I suck at wiring. I'm going to have my son come over to give me a hand with that.

Thanks for the help.

That PRNDL lead was supplied on all underdash harnesses, whether used or not.  That saved Ford from having to manufacture different harnesses for slightly different applications. 

There are a number of unused connectors/plugs on nearly every year underdash harness.  Not unusual at all.

12 hours ago, Midlife said:

That PRNDL lead was supplied on all underdash harnesses, whether used or not.  That saved Ford from having to manufacture different harnesses for slightly different applications. 

There are a number of unused connectors/plugs on nearly every year underdash harness.  Not unusual at all.

That makes sense. I know that's done a lot with the newer vehicles also.

I went back through all my photos and didn't find a photo of that plug. I must have thought since it wasn't connected to anything I wouldn't need a pic, duh.