Mystang

Top End Kit for 302 Small Block Ford

I decided to rebuild the 302 in my 50 year old convertible.  Not because it smoked or rattled, but rather to finish the refurbishment of my ride and insure it's reliability. It is my intention to build a "new" and improved engine for my pony. So I will use only new or remanufactured parts.

I wanted to add a little HP while I'm here and still wanted to keep it a DIY. So I have decided to go with an Edelbrock Top end kit. Because I have seen so little reporting on the kit, I am going to share with my fellow members.

I am starting with a freshly machined  block that has been boiled and magnafluxed.  All bearings and freeze-plugs replaced.  I have installed oversize pistons with extra relief for larger valves , like the ones in the E-street heads in the kit I will be using.

Excuse me now, as I am on my way to the garage to turn wrenches. It will be a busy weekend.

IMG_0688.JPG

I considered using Edelbrock heads, & the Trick Flow heads when I had my 1987 5.0 rebuilt last year, but I got a good deal on a set of Ford Motorsport heads & matching cam from a new Boss 302 engine a fellow employee where I work was selling. I am also using a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake.

100_1555.thumb.JPG.4e29028de777d30d382d51550a6629e9.JPG

The 2027 Power Package Top End Kit Small Block Ford SBF E-Street 289, 302  is a very inclusive package with E-street heads, Performer intake, cam, lifters, timing set, and all the bolts and gaskets needed too put it together. 

I got a lot done last night. I started with a new oil pump.

Yes it's a flat tappet, hydraulic lifter setup with full roller rockers.

IMG_0689.JPG

The engine is in now in but I have clearance issues due to the Borgson power steering box I installed while the engine was out of the car.

The original box was a close fit, but the new box a no go. 

This will postpone the start-up of the new engine.

MyStang, I had the same problem, I went with adjustable motor mounts to clear my Borgeson Box.    I moved my engine about an inch to the passenger side, and it cleared the steering box.  I am using shorty headers on a 351W/393 Stroker build.

I also have the flat tappet cam with roller rocker setup, seems to run great.

I ground off the corner of the bolt head, put a small well placed dent in the header, then put a 3/8" spacer under the driver side motor mount. 

Torque should lift this side of the engine and this should be enough clearance.   Am I right? 

AUDO3032.JPG

I ran the new engine enough for the initial break-in of the cam, thirty minets of run time @ 2000 to 2500 RPM

I eased her down the road a bit. Smooth running and responsive, begging me too pull harder. I'm hoping for good weather this week so I can get some run time, then I can put my foot in it.

IMG_0697.JPG

I've had time to put a little mileage on the new build. Unfortunately the 'Shut down' has got me working overtime and now that I have a weekend off, it's snowing, again.
  I think its' actually snowed more in April than it did in March.

IMG_1006[1].JPG