Topher26041

69 power brake conversion

I have a 69 mustang convertible, automatic, 351W. I'd like to have a local shop convert to power brakes. Currently looking at a Master Power Brake Conversion Kit on CJ Pony Parts for $388. I would purchase and have them do the installation. I have no experience here and do not want to buy something that is poor quality or does not work. Any suggestions or recommendations here?

I used the power disc brake kit from Opentracker Racing, & IIRc it was CCRP kit. The disc brakes were a bolt on kit to my drum brake spindles, they are the Kelsey/Hayes style calipers like the 65/66 Mustangs had from the factory.

https://opentrackerracing.com/product/ford-kelsey-hayes-type-4-piston-caliper-power-disc-brake-kit-v8-with-manual-transmission-1967-1969-copy/

100_1086.jpg

I think Topher just wants to go from manual to power brakes?

Master Power brakes makes high quality stuff, they are located close to me in Mooresville, NC.  I have their power brake master cylinder in my 1970 convertible.  You should call them directly to make sure you get exactly what you need for your car.  I also think you can order direct from them.   

You will need to change your brake pedal.  This is one of those Mustang curses.  Lot's of variations and the brake pedals look very similar.   Master Power Brakes sells them, and they are really nice and very competitive in pricing, I have one of theirs in my car.

Good info from Mustang Steve on this topic here:  https://www.mustangsteve.com/msfaqbrakepedals.html

If you want to go to disc brakes, OpenTracker is high quality outfit.  

Lots and lots of other options.

Good luck. Feel free to fire away any questions you may have.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:20 PM, Topher26041 said:

I have a 69 mustang convertible, automatic, 351W. I'd like to have a local shop convert to power brakes. Currently looking at a Master Power Brake Conversion Kit on CJ Pony Parts for $388. I would purchase and have them do the installation. I have no experience here and do not want to buy something that is poor quality or does not work. Any suggestions or recommendations here?

I do not recommend the granada disc brake (no offense to those who have it but thats a very old conversion kit/mod from back n the day. I had it and its a 1 piston caliper and did not like the stopping power. $700+ for a granada swap is pretty steep, you can get a  4 piston wilwood kit $643.00 maybe even cheaper if you buy them through summitracing.com this will accommodate the 15" wheel i believe. 

for the rear you can go with wilwood rear disc brake aswell 

other options is use the brakes from a 99-04 cobra or 2013-19 mustang GT, you can buy the adapters from mustang steve but you will need to farm out the parts from ebay, craigslist or junk yard. Also, streetortrack.com is has great option for brakes but they are a little pricey, so wilwood or mustang steve will be your best bet.

Thanks for the comments. Sorry for the late response. I should have added that the front has already been converted to disk brakes. The car is new to the wife and she is having a hard time with the manual brakes so I'd like to convert to power. I did see Vicfred's comments on the master power brake conversion kits and will contact them directly as suggested. I will likely buy their recommended kit and have a local shop do the conversion. Thanks!

For just going to Power brakes from manual, I used LEEDs.  Its the bigger diameter power booster which does fit with the 351W that I have.  I had the car down for a rotisserie so getting to the fire wall was easy.  You do have to cut out part of the fire wall for the power booster to fit.  It came with the 1" bore master cylinder.  Then its a matter of changing the pedal.  

If you want a true Ford style unit you should watch a video by WCCC on the different types of boosters used and how to identify them.  Very well done.  They always are very informative.

This set up has worked well so far.  This spring I am moving to front disc.