Vicfreg

Sport Mirror Glass

I have 2 pretty nice original sport mirrors, all in one piece.  The glass in both is not cracked, but severely scratched and worn.   Any sources for new glass, and suggestions on how to remove the old glass?

Remove the glass with it's backing, braided fishing line between glass and backing and use it like a saw. Heating may help. I even used this trick to remove glued side glasses from their brackets; took some time but braided fishing line cut the glue and I removed the glasses with no damage.

21 hours ago, TexasEd said:

x2 on west coast classic cougar.  They have a video on this and suggest just breaking it since you are replacing.  It is held on with four dabs of silicon

I followed the video in WCCC and it worked great.  I started with the same issue.  I also tighted up the adjustment so that it would stay firmly in place once set.

Hi guys, best thing to remove the glass mirror from the metal back is to soak the assembly in petrol (gasoline) for a day or two. The mirror and glue comes off completely without damaging anything.  drake make a good reproduction mirror glass for the passenger side that is slightly convex giving you a better field of view.

While the glass was off, i modified the frame so the tension can be adjusted without having to remove the new glass again.  I have been meaning to join the forum and will do over the next few days.  Will also include some pictures which may help somebody with the notorious 'loose' mirror issue.