RandyatBBY

RandyatBBY's 1970 Sportsroof

I have been looking for a place to post and discus my build project.  I have owned this car for many years, I bought it some ware about 1998. It was a barn find before we called it that.  I have only once drove it.  Life, wife kids and hobbies have put this project on last burner or lowest priority until now.  I am more retired now and I am working on it at least once a week. I have bought a lot of parts over the years. I have always liked 69's but when I found this car for $400. I had to buy it. I had a beautiful 69 Grande Trippe black, but I sold it. That is another story. Any way this build is a custom so purest beware It was just a "Plain Jane sports-roof" to start off with. It will have a 69 front clip and rear 69 tail lights. It will have a 351 C,  T5,  Shaker, slats,  spoilers I know for sure. I had thought it was a rust free car until I pulled the carpet up on passengers side. It has always been in a garage since I have owned it.  

post-47854-0-52746300-1481594252.jpg

post-47854-0-26210200-1481594296.jpg

post-47854-0-21094200-1481594326.jpg

Welcome'! And bring on the build and photos, we all love to see them here.

You can only attach so many per post. So attach some, then do it again in another post.

Or like you said, an external host will do the trick as well.

Welcome'! And bring on the build and photos, we all love to see them here.

You can only attach so many per post. So attach some, then do it again in another post.

Or like you said, an external host will do the trick as well.

Hear is a picture when I got the 70tie. Thanks for the welcome. 

ndWdOu.jpg

Welcome to the site ! Look forward to the updates. Have a color in mind ?

I like to keep it all ford and sort of ford colors. Less I decide to paint it similar to it's original lime green color, but then I would have to do a candy lime with black stripes. I have always want to do a tribute Boss 302 yellow with black stripes. Or possibly blue with black stripes.  One of the three is for sure. :-)

Once I got the seats out and the old carpet up this side looks great. Like they say nothing like a Califorina car. 

yZ5A6f.jpg

The back side looks great just a little surface rust to kill. I was hoping for the same thing on the other side sence I bought it.

rJKx2N.jpg

I think there was two elements that caused the rust one is in the picture below. The lower cowl panel was bent up and broken loose. Also there was not any body sealer on the seams on the passenger side. 

Xg8o3P.jpg

I bought the shaker years ago missing the correct bottom I am going to make a trim ring to off set to fit. 

wdS91f.jpg

This is the 60,000Mi motor I bought for $200.00

HkdO1i.jpg

Nice work!

Thanks I have been building hot rods or stock rods since the 60ties. Too much modifications and I get lost. I try to keep it simple. 50% of the welding is done by me and the other 50% done by a friend. I live on SSI so I probably will not have any high dollar stuff. I guess I am a true hot rodder use what is cheap and easy. 

My 2nd car was a hand-me-down 65 Impala, 3rd car was a 62 Impala and 4th car was a 66 Impala. Then the 5th car was the first of 15 mustangs I've owned over the years, a 69 I bought my senior year in HS. My current 69 is mustang #3.

My 2nd car was a hand-me-down 65 Impala, 3rd car was a 62 Impala and 4th car was a 66 Impala. Then the 5th car was the first of 15 mustangs I've owned over the years, a 69 I bought my senior year in HS. My current 69 is mustang #3.

Wow quite a history of mustangs. and to still have #3. I think I have only owned 6 Mustangs. For something I wish I still had, the 23 T bucket I built in high school metal shop or the 1947 Austin A40 Devon I drove to High School would be on top if it were not for my Fastback.  

Today I started on this part the edges are brazed it was hard and not bendable.  

Xg8o3P.jpg

First step was for me to cut what I could. 

rt4l8m.jpg

I really feel the upside down part will be harder for me to do. But I will do it then I have a lot of annealing to do. 

kuO84A.jpg

this is as far as I got today I have a district meeting and banquet to go to for my RC Boat racing. 

7vrB08.jpg