Raven R code

Lower Dash Paint

I thought there was a previous thread on this but couldn't find it in the search. 

So first, Would glass beading the textured part of the lower dash preserve the texture. Second, Anyone know what rattle can paint would be a perfect match for the black? I used can spray 25 yrs ago and it worked fine....just can't remember what it was.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, I have just been through this with mine. I had to remove the dash to rebuild the A/C plenum. I lightly sandblasted mine using garnet . The textured parts are still there. I  ended up getting a paint place to match the paint prior to blasting. I did use a can I purchased from NPD to do the plastic dash bits. Looks Great.

We bead blasted my brothers lower metal dash last summer. It cleaned up well with no damage or concern for the textured. (It looked quite nice).

We cleaned it well and put a couple light coats of SEM lacquer primer (gray). We used the SEM rattle cans from NPD and painted a couple light coats of the SEM Lacquer Satin Black (NPD# VP-946) followed by one light coat of the SEM Lacquer Charcoal Black Metallic (NPD# VP-4464). I was impressed with the final outcome.

Dave,

I used Seymour I bought from NPD.  It came out great.  What color is your interior.  I would not use Krylon or any other similar paint.  Use the good stuff.   Even thought my interior looked black it wasn't.  It was a dark charcoal metallic color. 

Bead blasting will NOT hurt the metal parts.   But it WILL destroy plastics.  Use a plastic prep for cleaning those.  Or a very soft brush and warm soapy water in your sink or shower (LOL). 

Bruce

Thanks for all the comments. Curious.....does anyone know if the lower dash color should match the black that is in the headlight knob/ wiper knob? Also, Should the center console and other interior plastic parts match the lower dash color? 

thanks

The lower dash is the key item to be painted in the dark charcoal metallic.

The rest of the dash, console and plastic parts are fine in satin black, of your choice.  I also think the glove-box door should be a satin black, or it will stand out amongst the satin parts of the upper dash and console.

The steering column is also satin black. The black of the deluxe door panels is also part of the whole wrap-around black color for the cockpit.  it is odd that the lower dash is a different color, but that's how they were styled.

I would not be matching small parts like wiper knob or headlight knob. 

its a bit complicated . . on both a 69 and 70, every piece inside the car that is black is dark charcoal metallic . . on a 70, all pieces with the exception of a few dash pieces are semi gloss . . the others are matte finish such as the 4 plastic pieces that go on both ends and the center of the dash.

the center of the knobs is black . . not charcoal.

take a look at these low mileage original 69 cars if you haven't already.  you can see a nice contrast on a number of the parts.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-0510-ford-mustang-cobra-jet-mach1/photo-gallery/#24

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-1002-1969-ford-mustang-mach-1/photo-gallery/#15

below is mine.

charcoal on the column, lower dash, kick panels, pillar trim.  semi gloss on the console, dash clusters, lower dash extensions.

the piece below the column should be a semi gloss black in my opinion (just looking at my original).  it didn't match the lower dash, so I painted it charcoal.

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

First, thanks for all the responses.

So....a few different answers here. My understanding is that the lower dash (including glovebox door) and steering column are Charcoal Black Metallic (SEM VP-4464). Now , would this ( http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=641809+01) be the better choice for the hard plastic trim pieces(center console, 4 vertical plastic pieces for lower dash, pillar pieces, kick panels and rear interior panels next to back seat)?

Great pictures BuckeyeDemon!

Thanks,
Dave

So for the first time in 28-ish yrs I just noticed a difference in the color of the steering column and black steering wheel! I guess the steering column would be considered a dark charcoal metallic. :) Up until now....I still wasn't convinced the original color was anything but a semi satin/ flat black. It all had to do with the lighting today....go figure.