Sign in to follow this  
jandj1970

70 Mach1

70Fastbak, no mate I bought them from open tracker along with my UCA, LCA and the tie rod ends.

Sven yes its Dynacorn along with trunk floor brace that goes under the tail panel. The trunk floor brace was one made from heavy gauge steel, the tail light panel was very easy to make fit.

The trunk floor brace took a bit more work to fit. I just spoke to global west suspension and my Monte Carlo bar and the solid rear shackle kit gets shipped Tuesday. Also ive been in touch with Mike Maier about his power steering setup he sells, his blue 66 coupe runs a power steering box not rack and pinnon.

While I didn't get to speak to Mike his worker went on to say, why Mike stayed with the steering box is because the rack and pinnon sits at a bad angle. So once Mike gets back from the 50th mustang celebrations in Las vegas, I will find out more.

Ive had a look at your build thread well done mate, in regards to your reinforcing kit the thickness of your plates shouldn't be a problem. I bought my kit from Opentracker, when I was searching the web I also found people had reinforced the outer shock tower to. Here are some photos of my shock tower, One thing I notice with your kit you don't have a plate that runs up the face of the shock ( where the UCA bolts to).

DSC02515.jpg

DSC02514.jpg

DSC02512.jpg

The photos above show what I called the dog leg shape plate that is welded to the face of the shock tower.

Edited by jandj1970
Photos didnt work first time

The photos are a bit fuzzy but if you have a look at Opentrackers reinforcing kit you will see the two plates iam talking about mate. In regards to the body filler most of it will be sanding out, the etch primer high filler couldn't completely fill in the welds.

And the last photo shows where I had a gap from the factory shock towers, so I welded these up to.

DSC02513.jpg

I hope this helps mate.

Thanks for the pics and clarification. Yeah, I didn't make the "dog leg" face plates, but I'd previously installed partial reinforcement plates at the upper arm on the wheel side of the tower when I did the Arning drop. Also, we partially seam welded the factory reinforcements when we replaced the cracked/collapsed original towers 25 years ago. I can honestly report that even that little welding was functionally worthwhile. I had the unfortunate experience to have to drive the car over a curb at 35mph into a median in an evasive maneuver to avoid a crashing car. Everything was fine except for a bent tie rod.

Anyway, I'm taking this opportunity to finish it off and feel confident about auto-x'ing the car and knowing the towers aren't going to flex, crack, or collapse.

BTW, I used seam sealer instead of body filler... You're right that most of it will sand out, but not so much that it doesn't still hide some of my less pretty welds.

I followed the directions on the seam sealer and applied it over the bare metal and welds. It's a sandable and paintable sealer, so I'm sanding it smooth(-ish) and then priming over it and then spraying top coat. I'm not using any rubberized undercoating inside the engine bay.

Thanks Darkbuddha.

Thanks burn, at the moment Iam going to run the Cleveland (351) that came with the car to get it registered mate. I will change intake, cam, run electronic dizzy with custom carb on this engine.

The engine I want to build would be a stroker

Dart block 9.2 deck

SCM heads and intake ( Cleveland 4V alloy heads)

Solid flat tappet

Custom carb

T&D rocker arms

7500 redline

HP goal would be 600 FWHP, running through a manual transmission. Hopefully I can start collecting parts for stroker motor Xmas next year.

70Fastbak, no mate I bought them from open tracker along with my UCA, LCA and the tie rod ends.

Sven yes its Dynacorn along with trunk floor brace that goes under the tail panel. The trunk floor brace was one made from heavy gauge steel, the tail light panel was very easy to make fit.

The trunk floor brace took a bit more work to fit. I just spoke to global west suspension and my Monte Carlo bar and the solid rear shackle kit gets shipped Tuesday. Also ive been in touch with Mike Maier about his power steering setup he sells, his blue 66 coupe runs a power steering box not rack and pinnon.

While I didn't get to speak to Mike his worker went on to say, why Mike stayed with the steering box is because the rack and pinnon sits at a bad angle. So once Mike gets back from the 50th mustang celebrations in Las vegas, I will find out more.

I've heard similar things about rack conversions, most don't seem to get the geometry right. Any pics or info about the Maier steering box set up would be interesting. I was leaning toward the Borgeson set up when I've got some more cash. Great progress you're making on the car!

Thanks shaun, I spoke to Mike maiers shop and pretty much they said for the rack & pinnon to work properly you have to install a custom K member. What happens when you install the rack & pinnon without a custom K member, the outside of the tire is wanting to turn faster when turning into a corner.

Its like trying to steer a boat, the car is wanting to push through the corner. All this is due to poor steering geometry having to mount the rack back so far.

Shaun have a look a Mike Maiers website they do a power steering kit, its not cheap but once Ive got the coin I will buy one. In regards to the borgeson unit they had a few in there shop and they all leak, Mikes shop uses a ABS steering box.

Do you have the link to the Maier steering kit? I looked around on their site but couldn't find it. I've been planning on upgrading to one of the integral box ps kits rather than going to a rack for a combination of reasons, including that r&p conversions have a bigger turning radius, cost more, are bulky, and can hurt performance. I'd be interested in seeing what Maier has as an option.