Sign in to follow this  
jgkurz

TKO600 and Headers with an FE

Hi All,

I recently bought my first Mustang and am planning out a few upgrades. I have always wanted a 1969 Mach 1 and now I finally have one. It's a Q code car with a 427 FE and a C6. I will be converting it to a Tremec TKO600 in the near future. I have received a few quotes from companies specializing in Tremec upgrades. So far my favorite is Modern Driveline. My goal is to NOT cut the body or frame in any way as part of the upgrade. Because of that I think I need a Z-bar style clutch instead of cable or hydraulic. The car has power disk brakes and power steering which I instead to use.

I am trying to find headers that will work with a Barillaro z-bar and power steering. The Hooker 6114-1HKR and Dougs D626-R say they fit an FE with power steering as long as a power steer adapter is used, but I have read of difficulties.

Does anyone have experience using a z-bar on an FE with power steering and headers?

Edited by jgkurz

If I were you I would go with the hydraulic so you would have more clearance for the headers.

I'd prefer not to go hydraulic unless it's mandatory. I want to explore all options before I go that direction.

Just curious, why are you trying to avoid going the hydraulic route? I may have the same issue coming up. Bob

My understanding is that I would need to drill holes, albeit small, into the firewall. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

If your considering Modern Driveline for the tranny they also make (in my opinion) the best Hydraulic Clutch system (TO Bearing style especially) to retrofit this Generation Mustang. A couple screws to mount the bracket to the firewall and actuator goes out the existing hole where the factory clutch linkage would normally go. Pricey, but will alleviate most of your fitment issues.

Edited by Patriotgamez

I was looking at the same conversion. Probably going with MDL's hydraulic set up for the clutch. My Power steering conversion will be a bit different as I am trying to convert to a rack setup. I already have the hooker headers (ie jungle gym headers) under the car. I am hopeful to try and test fit the rack in the next couple of weeks.

I was looking at the same conversion. Probably going with MDL's hydraulic set up for the clutch. My Power steering conversion will be a bit different as I am trying to convert to a rack setup. I already have the hooker headers (ie jungle gym headers) under the car. I am hopeful to try and test fit the rack in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for chiming in. Let us know how the test fit goes.

Mine is hyd setup with tko600 and headers. I wish I could give more info on the Zbar but it was hyd when I bought it. I really like the room it free's up under the hood, which is priceless with an FE in my book.

Mine is hyd setup with tko600 and headers. I wish I could give more info on the Zbar but it was hyd when I bought it. I really like the room it free's up under the hood, which is priceless with an FE in my book.

Do you happen to know what headers you are running?

Do you happen to know what headers you are running?

Unfortunately I do not. The previous owner kept all the receipts for parts, but he told me he regretted cutting corners and bought these headers used. He wrapped them with heat wrap and that's the way they are now. Would pictures help of the flange areas?

To the OP,

What heads are on the 427? It will make a difference because FE's used three different exhaust bolt patterns. That will make a big difference with the type of exhaust you go with. On my car, I went with FPA tri-y's. And they were a real tight fit. Too tight. If I were to do it all over I would have gone with factory cast iron manifolds. But other's have had better clearance's on their cars. So it is really almost a car by car basis type of thing with FE's and headers. Since my car has power steering, I could not go with a set of Doug's where they cross over under the oil pan of the engine. I think those may have given me better clearance. Bruce

Unfortunately I do not. The previous owner kept all the receipts for parts, but he told me he regretted cutting corners and bought these headers used. He wrapped them with heat wrap and that's the way they are now. Would pictures help of the flange areas?

Any from under the car?