Hello 1969mustang,

Recently replaced my speakers in the package tray.

I got a set from Mustangs Unlimited.

I must admit - not too crazy about the new grille BUT

I used my old ones.

These speakers fit well BUT I am still listening to 8-tracks

so you likely will not get a HUGE sound from them.

One other thought -back in the day - -many people had

speakers that sat on top of the package tray - -I never really liked

the look.

Just one guys thoughts

Print Dad

Hello 1969mustang,

Recently replaced my speakers in the package tray.

I got a set from Mustangs Unlimited.

I must admit - not too crazy about the new grille BUT

I used my old ones.

These speakers fit well BUT I am still listening to 8-tracks

so you likely will not get a HUGE sound from them.

One other thought -back in the day - -many people had

speakers that sat on top of the package tray - -I never really liked

the look.

Just one guys thoughts

Print Dad

Thanks Print Dad, do you know what size they are?

I think 6x9 coaxial or triaxial speakers cover a pretty broad range of highs and lows and many get by with those alone. Cars with fold down seat are at a bit of a disadvantage unless they cut holes somewhere. I am interested in the "invisible" sound applications. I do plan to run an Infinity Basslink sub in the trunk but would like the rest to be unseen.

Paolo - how good is the sound from those Visaton exciters?

Edited by miketyler

My grande came with 6x9's mounted from underneath with a spacer and some long bolts - still had to drill holes in the rear panel but that's easier than cutting out for the whole speaker. the grille just mounts on top of the package shelf and everything looks normal.

Anyone used the MP products style trap door with speaker pods?

Not sure if it was the MP brand, but I bought the trap door plastic thing that CJ was offering at the time 3 years ago. First, you better be handy with a dremel, second, the bolt holes don't line up very well, third, the thing leaves almost 3/4" gaps where the factory one did not, and fourth, how much sound are you really gonna get with speakers mounted in plastic.

I swore at it and chucked it in the trash. I also realized that for how often I drive my car, and how it sounds, listening to the engine is music enough for me. I put the stock AM radio back in, which used to get the ball game until the Twins just moved to FM.

I'm still surprised no one has came out with aftermarket package trays for fastbacks that have speaker provisions. They have them for the Coupes as well as the above mentioned trap doors in fastbacks, but no package trays.

I had 6x9s in my package tray and it was OK. The sound is projected up against the rear window, not ideal. I'm very tempted to mount some quality 6.5" speakers to the rear inner quarters (rear/bottom mounted with fiberglass strengthening to quarter trim panels) and make some grills with cloth covering and make it all flush with the panel. They have aftermarket panels with speaker provisions, but have heard they don't fit too well....plus I don't like the big bulge it has.

$(KGrHqR,!pYE+L16B)hWBQGG1Rve!g~~60_12.JPG

I'd use the same location for speakers so that they are angled at each front seat, but as mentioned above make them flush mounted. The 99-04 Mustang Convertibles had something similar, but too far forward on the panels:

94-04-cdc-mustang-convertible-lightbar-19.jpg

102_2567.jpg

The trick is doing a good enough job that it looks factory, and dealing with the curvature of the panel won't be easy.

I'm still surprised no one has came out with aftermarket package trays for fastbacks that have speaker provisions. They have them for the Coupes as well as the above mentioned trap doors in fastbacks, but no package trays.

I had 6x9s in my package tray and it was OK. The sound is projected up against the rear window, not ideal. I'm very tempted to mount some quality 6.5" speakers to the rear inner quarters (rear/bottom mounted with fiberglass strengthening to quarter trim panels) and make some grills with cloth covering and make it all flush with the panel. They have aftermarket panels with speaker provisions, but have heard they don't fit too well....plus I don't like the big bulge it has.

$(KGrHqR,!pYE+L16B)hWBQGG1Rve!g~~60_12.JPG

I'd use the same location for speakers so that they are angled at each front seat, but as mentioned above make them flush mounted. The 99-04 Mustang Convertibles had something similar, but too far forward on the panels:

94-04-cdc-mustang-convertible-lightbar-19.jpg

102_2567.jpg

The trick is doing a good enough job that it looks factory, and dealing with the curvature of the panel won't be easy.

Laurel Mountain Mustang sells a fiberglass package tray for a 69 Sportsroof with speaker provisions.

I put some speaker in the package tray today. I finally found some 4x10's with grills. They were some cheap brand that my local RadioShack had but I think they sound pretty good or they will at least do me for now. I mounted them using the 2 outside holes in the package tray. The holes were the perfect size for the 4x10's. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks,

Drew

Late to the party but I used Hertz 6x9" which didn't need much cutting to the steel panel. Little bit of trimming to the original square holes.

Sound is good and they sit nice and flush. I had pictures somewhere of fitting them but can't find them right now.