Sign in to follow this  
Fordrevhead

Scored a low mileage 69 302 today

Bought a 69 302 engine from a Vert with 34k miles on it! Not kidding. Arizona car, clean as hell! A well off guy (who mostly drives Ferraris and the like now) gave it to his friend who use to own one back in high school and was dreaming of having another. His original one was a 351w and since he didnt have a dollar in it he hired a small local shop to do an engine swap. They happen to be big Chevy guys but are friends of mine. I helped them out a lot by telling them what parts would and wouldnt swap, sourced parts for them and saved them a lot of time.

The car sat for years and the engine leaked from almost every gasket and the valve seals were shot so it smoked but it ran smooth and quiet. The smoking and leaking also helped push the swap with the guys wife.

Anyway, I guess they felt they owed me something so they told the owner how I was a big Mustang guy and how I helped them out and saved them some time and him some money. He said give him whatever extra parts you have for whatever you think they're worth. ;)

The new 351W starts rich when hot. Also has a flat spot off idle. Carter AFB. I told him to check the fuel pressure then I downloaded the Edelbrock tuning pdf and told him to adjust the float and then play with the accelerator pump settings and that should fix the richness, the puff of smoke on hot start and the flat spot off idle. ...Then I got to ride in it too!

Edited by Fordrevhead

You would not see much from the front as they used a lot of the front stuff on the 351w. I can however get the engine code easily since it's on an engine stand now

I just came in from the shop, just test drove the Fox body with fresh transmission fluid, filter, pan gasket, band readjustment and complete new rear Locker center section with new clutch paks. Cant wait for spring now!

I'll check out the engine code next trip out but is in indeed 1969, that much I checked before the deal.

Specifically, I was thinking about the distributor, and maybe some of the belt stuff you off. (PS if applicable) Thanks for checking!

A Fox, too? Are you gonna leave anything for the guys still looking for Mustangs? (You don't have to.)

Never got any b4 pics as the car was 40 miles away. Most of my help was via email. Also, due to the car sitting so long the engine was leaking everywhere so prior to the swap it got a new intake, carb, etc so a lot was changed. I can snap some of the 70 302, only dif that I can think of is the PS pump and bracket.

I have a guy interested in this that I stumbled upon, I wasnt looking to get rid of it but hey. Anyone have a guess what a 45k mile 302 with 69 date code might be worth to a guy who wants to build his car back to stock?

It's present state is no carb, and timing cover and wp removed, has Pertronix though.