Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70vert

POST UGLY '69-70s HERE!

In order to succeed, you must first learn how to fail. Somebody said that. So, post some ugly stangs. I'm following Pak's lead and I can recall some other bad stangs (remember the Pimpmobile?) in the past so let's post some good ones.

I'll start it out with: the David Letterman (note gap in bottom vane of the grill)

477017_3.jpg

Hunh, where did I lead you too?

Good idea anyway, pretty ones are everywhere but the ugly ones, man they stick with you for life like luggage.

There isn't a larger pic of the Letterman? I'd like to see a closer look at that grill and what the heck he did, I thought it was a 70 at a glance, I can't belive he yanked the inboard lights.

I actually wish there was a billet grille for the '70 and have wondered how a Shelby mesh grille would look. I even saw a grille painted in chrome that looked good - I think it was Nitrous Eater on stangnet. Letterman is otherwise nice, but that grille has to go.

I looked through cardomain a little more and couldn't find anything really fugly except maybe a drag-oriented car.

Yeah actually Nitrous's car just has the deluxe grande grill, that chrome look is stock just not common and it's only on the front surface. I have been messing with some ideas as well to slightly mod mine. I would like to know if the Shelby grille could be modded too, I'm sure anything can be but I don't feel like spending the money on one to find out and maybe fail.

My current project is to chrome only the vertical bars on the grid of the stock grill to sort of acheive the look you'd get with a billet grill. I am using some adhesive chrome pin striping for the test to see how it looks.

The second plan is to take some diamond shape grill stock simillar in appearance to that of the Shelby side scoops (and grill) and to shape and lay it over the front of the stock grill, perhaps even using a layer of regular fine window screen in between it and the stock to mask the visibility of the grid behind it. I'll post some pics and put it to a vote when I'm done.

i can't believe no one makes a billet grill already for the 69 or 70 crowd.

hey Pak, one thing you can do if you decide to go with the shelby style grille would be to cut out most the horizontal part of the stock grille and leave just a few of the vertical pieces behind it to give it some strength. also if you were to rivet the shelby style grille to the "frame" of the stock grille you probably wouldn't even need any of the "grid work" at all. i'm curious to see how you're chrome grille turns out, if the pinstriping works pretty good you might consider getting a sheet of the chrome mylar from a sign company, most of them should have some in stock and you may even get lucky and get a remnant in the size you need

Yeah good ideas. Becasue I have an extra grill to work with from the parts car, I may experiment further with chopping sections out if my preliminary experiments show some merit.

the ad should read "Needs: everything."

here's a good one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6236&item=4561177592&rd=1

I'm gonna host the uglies so when the ad goes down they stay up:

http://homepage.mac.com/jbauder/uglystangs/uglystangs.html

The hood decal is kind of liveable, but the hole in the hood, the mural on the back, and the wheels? :roll:

Hey, well of course I'd be inclined to agree, (before BSWOR tainted me anyway). :wink: Probably becasue mine is original and sits just a tad lower than this one does which is probably aftermarket. Still curious how it would look with the new decklid despite the general feelings on it, I'd have to be 100% sure of it to go driiling holes in that new piece though. :roll: Think it could be temporarily bonded on with auto grade tape?

but it's not purty. I love the US, shop American when I can (American Apparel, Converse before they stopped in the US), look for US-made and local stuff as much as possible, but this is too much:

27781462_5d9ee12355.jpg?v=0

Don't despoil the flag by painting it on your rusty mustang. Unless you're Captain America or something and you keep your shield in the trunk. The Easy Rider thing was cool, but this is just dorky.