RPM

Kudos To Randy At MidLife

I've been trying to diagnose an erratic voltage gauge for a few weeks that would fluctuate between 9 and ~14v. When I had the battery and alternator checked they passed with flying colors. So I bought a new gauge, and experienced the same issues. Figured it had to be electrical, and probably a bad ground so I checked and found they were good. I also checked the 12v source to the gauge as far as I could.

At 65 with a bad neck, back, eyes, and certainly attitude I was ready to give up. Then I membered I had Randy's number and maybe ought to call him. After a couple of questions he nailed it. Since I looove to crawl under the dash, I had reached under the dash to snap a pic of the fuse box, but didn't look closely at the pic. While troubleshooting with Randy he mentioned the accessory post on the fuse box. I looked at the pic, oops...a loose terminal on the stud. Erectricity 101.

Thanks MidLife.

You're more than welcome.  It is often that another set of eyes/mindset can troubleshoot things better than the one experiencing the problem. 

The main reason why I am on this and other forums, as well as my wiring refurbishment business, is that I really enjoy trouble-shooting from a distance.  Having a detached perspective (e.g. a dirty mind laying in the gutter) and helping people out gives me great satisfaction out of life.  That, and a good brand of whiskey...

HA HA ........i like the location you have listed    peoples republic of kalifornia.......it fits so well out there.......i always tell people i refer it as another country.....  and mabey we should just go ahead and give it to mexico and make them happy???     im bad today!!!!!   must be the full moon!!

well im glad you had an easy problem to fix!!    i have a 70 coupe that i have to put in a new wiring harness i bought from painless...ill be doing that in a couple of months so i will 

have my hands full ...as i have never put one in .....so it will be interesting!!! 

Ed, the harness is not that hard to do, I am in the process of doing a AAW harness in my 69 Coupe. I looks intimidating but do a little at a time & you will get through it.

so we all discovered.... once again... that midlife is a genius.  how many times do we have to repeat history?  
He always has the best advice I ever got on the 1 subsystem of the car I don't trust and don't like...

Jay

2 hours ago, JayEstes said:

so we all discovered.... once again... that midlife is a genius.  how many times do we have to repeat history?  
He always has the best advice I ever got on the 1 subsystem of the car I don't trust and don't like...

Jay

The nut behind the steering wheel?  Tee hee.

Thanks for the kind words.