lalojamesliz

Rear torque box question

Is this the rear torque box? 

I read somewhere that the convertible rockers will go from the front torque box to the rear and that's the correct way to install them. 

The inner rockers are my next step on my 69 coupe build and wanted to know if I should try to connect the torque boxes with the convertible inner rockers or just install them as per the article on streetortrack and cut them to length

Screenshot_20210121-195930_Gallery.jpg

I've been wondering the same thing, and I'll bet that Jim (Ridge Runner), Bob (RPM), and others will have suggestions. Below are pictures of two passenger side rear torque boxes:

image.png.77fa396a9537ef1594da10df0088f585.png

The standard one is above and the convertible below- notice it isn't as wide:

image.png.7fc38cc8f6e3779082f32f24658f0894.png

I'm wondering how difficult it will be to remove this, since I believe that the hump is visible from inside but the floor overlaps on top around the edge. I would want to save my rear sub frames and not remove them if possible. I don't believe you would get the full benefit of the torque box if you don't go into that area. Notice how the rocker ends further back at the rear wheel well in this example and this isn't a convertible.

image.png.383054b1d4e83e24452a38b397516e71.png

Eddie, with conv inner rockers you're gonna be able to jack up both ends of the car with one jack on the side. So, I wouldn't mess with the extra work. I welded mine onto the face of the torque box like latoracing. Since I have a roll bar I didn't venture into that area. 

I connected them in the last 67 i did ,you will have to notch the front torque box and the rear torque box and weld around them. You will have to support the entire side or the car from the front rails to the rear rails because you will be cutting them loose when you notch them ,i will see if i can find my pics

OK, so Bob says to do it like the article, and he has good results, but no doubt your roll cage helps with overall rigidity.

Jim, is there anyway to replace the rear torque box without removing the floor, or alternately the rear frame rail? Some of Jim's pictures below:

rear torque box1.JPG

rear torque box2.JPG

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Eddie, with conv inner rockers you're gonna be able to jack up both ends of the car with one jack on the side. So, I wouldn't mess with the extra work. I welded mine onto the face of the torque box like latoracing. Since I have a roll bar I didn't venture into that area. 

Hey Bob, I'm considering a roll bar as well.

I removed my front suspension to be able to clean everything up and reinforce the shock towers.  

I'll call you later if your not busy man....