RCE1313

Fuel Pump pulsating when brake pedal engaged before cranking

I'm having a issue where my Edelbrock electric fuel pump is pulsating when I put my foot on the brake pedal before I crank up my car.  I've also noticed at night that my tail lights are dimly lit as my car sits on the trickle charger parked in my garage. 

Would this possibly be a grounding issue? 

Has anyone ever had this type of issue before?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Sure sounds like a grounding issue to me.  Probably at the brake lights.  Now then, the brake lights should be off when the car's battery is charging.  Do you have a good grounding strap from the engine head to the firewall?

That is an odd one, but as Mid said, bad grounds cause all sorts of unexpected things, so I'm with him and check that first.

1. Do you have a VOM?

2. Are the side marker lights and or the license plate light also slightly on?

3. And it doesn't do it with the charger disconnected?

4. Is the voltage regulator the old electro-mechanical type or a new type electronic?

5. Do you have the old alternator or a newer 3G?

6. Any electrical components replaced recently?

If you have a test light ($10 from Autozone) https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/test-light/innova-test-light/186543_0_0

I kinda think its the voltage regulator or alternator, and you can do some basic tests to help figure that out. Most of this is from Woodchuck, who did a pretty good write-up: 

Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery and place a test light between the post and cable. You can hold the test light "probe" to the post with a hose clamp, and clip the alligator clip to the end of the battery ground cable. Make sure the doors are shut and the key is "off".

If you have a glowing test light you have a drain somewhere. Start by disconnecting the voltage regulator. If the light goes off you have either a shorted alternator brush or bad regulator. If the alternator warning lamp goes off the minute the engine starts it's probably NOT the alternator but the regulator.

Test light still on? Reach in the other side through the window with the door closed and pull up on the brake pedal. If the test light goes off, adjust or replace the brake light switch.