Sign in to follow this  
RPM

What, If Any, Bolt Goes Here?

Bolting up my steering column and can't remember or find a bolt that goes where the yellow dot in the pictures. I've got all the other holes accounted for including the hole directly across from the yellow dot. 

20210120_170612.thumb.jpg.b7989acd7202f8825a8c131007bb22ff.jpg20210120_170807.thumb.jpg.2c6e32831b149d9a5fdcad30c81a13a4.jpg

@RPM Do these pictures answer your question?

Well, they made me take mine apart and see that the empty left circle on my pic of my bracket doesn't have any metal there to connect the bracket to the lower dash or pedal hanger. The two studs circled on the right of my pic are for the clam shell bracket which attaches the column to the bracket. 

Thanks @aslansfe

20210121_125640.thumb.jpg.bd98857e70ec6385696bd033347dbc4d.jpg

49 minutes ago, RPM said:

@RPM Do these pictures answer your question?

Well, they made me take mine apart and see that the empty left circle on my pic of my bracket doesn't have any metal there to connect the bracket to the lower dash or pedal hanger. The two studs circled on the right of my pic are for the clam shell bracket which attaches the column to the bracket. 

Thanks @aslansfe

Just to make it clear, the photos I posted are of the part circled in red on your picture below which is the part you have yellow dot on the schematics you posted above. The clam shell bracket is attached to "an other bracket" (which you can see on the schematic) and that "an other bracket" is attached to the red circled bracket. Before all that the red circled bracket is attached to dash with 2 or 3 bolts circled in green on below photo; clam shell just touches the bracket, not attached to it and is between this bracket and "an other bracket".

Is it clear as mud now?

Inked20210121_LI.jpg

Inkedcolumn mount 3_LI.jpg

Clear as stinkin mud! Thanks guys, I tink I gots it fingered out now. 

20210121_161422.thumb.jpg.d9f71f8ee0e6b2d0d27765627f4b3fb7.jpg

20210121_162746.thumb.jpg.ca7b79edd5d1bb1d12a8035490bc1a17.jpg

I did have the above bolt installed from the start. 

Couldn't figure out why those bolts above weren't shown in the Osborn manual till I looked in the Body Assembly Manual, where they're shown, in addition to the Chassis Assembly Manual. Sheesh. Success, I think and pray. 

Thanks again guys. 

20210121_162144.jpg.09b649bcc929eb475c11dc7bc624df12.jpg

@RPM You should have retainer/washers on those 2 studs (carriage bolts) sticking out. If you look closely at the picture of one of my cars I posted above ( the one with green circles around the holes you were asking about)  you will see the retainer/washers under the nuts on the studs. Those retainer/washers keep the studs in place so they do not fall out while you are installing the column. Without those retainer/washers, you may need 4 hands to install the column.

An other note. You can adjust the wheel about an inch away or close to you. To do that, you leave the clam shell a little lose and install the column. Pull or push the wheel to fit your liking then tighten the clam shell ( you can access to clam shell nuts to tigjten after everything is attached). There is about 1 inch slot on the column housing that clam shell tab moves in giving you about 1 inch of in or put adjustment of wheel.

On 1/21/2021 at 7:22 PM, aslanefe said:

An other note. You can adjust the wheel about an inch away or close to you. To do that, you leave the clam shell a little lose and install the column. Pull or push the wheel to fit your liking then tighten the clam shell ( you can access to clam shell nuts to tigjten after everything is attached). There is about 1 inch slot on the column housing that clam shell tab moves in giving you about 1 inch of in or put adjustment of wheel.

Wait, you can adjust the steering wheel away from the driver seat for more room?  Where does the slop go?  It seems like the shaft would be putting too much pressure on the steering box.

6 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Wait, you can adjust the steering wheel away from the driver seat for more room?  Where does the slop go?  It seems like the shaft would be putting too much pressure on the steering box.

As the shaft is collapsible, there is no pressure/force on the box. The inner shaft moves in or out while the outer shafts stays connected to box. The adjustment I mentioned is not much, may be an inch.