smidee

heat creep at idle

i have a 357 long rod,2v small chamber heads, small cam,not a big hp engine but just warm, and yes the right thermostat at 180 deg ,2500 stall, hyper spark and sniper setup and ac i cant seem to stop heat creep at idle its not timing tried that.
i have a new 24"x16" 3 core rad with 5/8 tubes, shroud and steel blade fan,which i replaced the 4 core one with, i took off the Elec fan and shroud it was too shallow  as it was blocking the radiator air flow now i cools just fine at speed as long as I'm moving but at idle it starts to creep if the ac is on . ,here is the spec from my repair manual should i be trying to run in these temp ranges maybe i go to a 190 deg thermo and take out the 180 as it would be running flat out all the time

ecb18c5d-1bdc-47ea-b9a4-a172ad2e6bf9.png

using both my stock one and the digital sniper one also using laser to check, the sniper readout is the one i use mostly ,once it gets hot say 200 ish it puts my analogue one at just past half way 206-212 its at about 3/4 on gauge .

I am toying with the idea of a hi flow thermo stat either 180 -190, the fans I don't know i need a shrouded one electric maybe, the one i had the shroud was too shallow so couldnt pull enough air across the whole core and at speed would block air to the core

The thermostat is there to reduce water flow though your radiator to help get the engine up to temperature quicker, once fully open say about 180 F, it serves no further need. First thing to check would be your timing, but temps of 195 to 205 F are normal. More damage is done to an engine running at to low a temperature.

Where did you put Sniper temp sensor, can you post a picture? Are you using the sensor that came with Sniper? I tested the Sniper sensor with a laser and found it to be not reading right, so I replaced it with Delphi TS10075.

21 hours ago, smidee said:

stock steel blade and shroud

Is the fan a reproduction 5 blade fan?  I originally had that type on my 1969 Mach 1 with a 351W and it didn't move much air, especially at idle.  I found a stock 6 blade clutch fan from a 1969 Cougar with a 351W and installed it with a new Hayden clutch.  It works much better.

Is the motor fresh? A newly rebuilt motor is tight and makes more heat. Like the suggestion of checking the timing. The proper fan, fan clutch and shroud are important. The fan blades should be no more than halfway behind the edge of the shroud.    Dave R.

3 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Is the fan a reproduction 5 blade fan?  I originally had that type on my 1969 Mach 1 with a 351W and it didn't move much air, especially at idle.  I found a stock 6 blade clutch fan from a 1969 Cougar with a 351W and installed it with a new Hayden clutch.  It works much better.

no its a factory ford one for my 70 i am putting the thermo back on but have boxed the shroud to give it more clearance from the core and using a ford factory single fan from a falcon or territory it move a shit load of air see if that makes a difference

2 hours ago, Midlife said:

When the heat is on here in Tucson, lots of creeps idle around open bedroom windows...just saying...

thats the least of americas problems atm