Casgar

Aeromotive or Tanks Inc EFI tanks?

Going to have to replace my current tank sooner or later and I was wondering if anyone have any experiences with eighter one of these?

Aeromotive
Tanks Inc

Both tanks suppport my hp goal (4-500hp), and both have some sort of baffles. The Aeromotive have the line exits at the stock position, but can only be had in -69 size (20 gal) and not in -70 size (22 gal). The Tanks Inc is ~100$ cheaper.

I'm planning on putting some sort of flat floor in the trunk. Will the inlet/outlet on the Tanks Inc interfere with that if you assume the bottom of the floor is on the top of the frame rails?
Is any of the baffles better?

Any input is appreciated.

I've got this one from Aeromotive.  Although, if I remember right, the box said Tanks Inc on it!

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/69-70-mustang-stealth-fuel-tank/

22 Gallon, fit nicely in my '69.  The only catch is that you'll need a filler neck from a '70 as this tank is 'taller' than the original '69 one, so don't forget to order that too!  Re-ran braided lines up to the engine compartment, which are on top of the tank.  I had to put a little hole into the side of my trunk (where gas tank sits in) for this.  I then made a flat floor for the trunk with 1/4" wood.  So far, so good!

15 hours ago, Flanders said:

I've got this one from Aeromotive.  Although, if I remember right, the box said Tanks Inc on it!

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/69-70-mustang-stealth-fuel-tank/

22 Gallon, fit nicely in my '69.  The only catch is that you'll need a filler neck from a '70 as this tank is 'taller' than the original '69 one, so don't forget to order that too!  Re-ran braided lines up to the engine compartment, which are on top of the tank.  I had to put a little hole into the side of my trunk (where gas tank sits in) for this.  I then made a flat floor for the trunk with 1/4" wood.  So far, so good!

I have a hard time justifying a tank that cost double of what the Tanks Inc cost, especially since I'll have to have it shipped over to Europe too. Though good to hear that the lines fit even with floor on top.

3 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

Spectra has a tank in 22 gallons. F28DFI. Found it on Rockauto. Pictures show it to have the lines in the stock configuration. 

I've read some threads that are not very positive about Spectra tanks. Gunk that clogged the filter in just a few hours, etc. Though that might have changed, I don't know.

1 hour ago, det0326 said:

I used the Tanks Inc. and didn't like the lines in the trunk area but it was the only one available at the time. Unless Tanks has changed there pumps it is very noisy I changed my pump to the Aeromotive one.

Thanks for the info.

Aeromotive does sound most interesting so far. 2 gallon less isn't that big of a deal. Or I could just buy the tank and pump separate. Doesn't seem to be that much of a price difference.

13 hours ago, Mike65 said:

I also used the Spectra 22 gal tank in my 69 Coupe. I made sure to remove the pump & clean out the inside before installing it after reading others problems with them. I have not yet run the engine.

What did you clean it with ? I’m installing a Spectra tank in my 1965 El Camino. Got the GM37EFI unit. 

I used Holley 12-305 in tank returnless sender and pump that is advertised as 255 LPH and supporting up to 550 hp on my stock tank when I installed Holley Sniper. If I have to do it over again, I will buy the Holley hydromat (which was included in 12-305),  and a better pump (as the one that came on 12-305 is a little noisy) and modify my stock sender (braze a tube for return, install a connector to power the pump) then install the pump of my choice and hydromat. If I want it returnless, I would buy the fuel filter with built in pressure regulator that is used on I believe some chevys and install that just after the sender and hook up the return line of the filter to return I brazed. Some folks that has drain plug on their tanks attach the return to drain fitting. These are 2 more options for you.

On 1/14/2021 at 6:39 AM, aslanefe said:

I used Holley 12-305 in tank returnless sender and pump that is advertised as 255 LPH and supporting up to 550 hp on my stock tank when I installed Holley Sniper. If I have to do it over again, I will buy the Holley hydromat (which was included in 12-305),  and a better pump (as the one that came on 12-305 is a little noisy) and modify my stock sender (braze a tube for return, install a connector to power the pump) then install the pump of my choice and hydromat. If I want it returnless, I would buy the fuel filter with built in pressure regulator that is used on I believe some chevys and install that just after the sender and hook up the return line of the filter to return I brazed. Some folks that has drain plug on their tanks attach the return to drain fitting. These are 2 more options for you.

That's actually a good idea too. My current tank (and car) has been sitting in a garage for 15+ years, but I don't actually know if the tank is solid or just dirty. Lot of gunk in there at least. If I clean it and it's ok the Holley alternative is cheaper both in initial cost and in shipping since it's a much smaller piece. And free choise of tanks in case I have to replace it, which I can buy over here with not too much of a price difference.

What do you think of the HydraMat? Is the mat placed across the bottom?

3 hours ago, Casgar said:

That's actually a good idea too. My current tank (and car) has been sitting in a garage for 15+ years, but I don't actually know if the tank is solid or just dirty. Lot of gunk in there at least. If I clean it and it's ok the Holley alternative is cheaper both in initial cost and in shipping since it's a much smaller piece. And free choise of tanks in case I have to replace it, which I can buy over here with not too much of a price difference.

What do you think of the HydraMat? Is the mat placed across the bottom?

Look at the pictures of Holley 12-305 and installation instructions, you will see the hydromat. They sell hydromat in different sizes separately. Hydromat just lays on the bottom of the tank at the end of pump. It acts as filter and baffle/fuel storage. I do not track my car (it is just a daily driver with stock 302), did not have fuel starvation issues even when tank is almost empty in a little over a year of use. Modifying a stock sender for in tank pump with hydromat will be easy and cheaper as you can buy a pump locally there. You may even find hydromat locally; if not shipping for it should be low as it will fit in an envelope.

I have the Holley/Tanks Inc tank.

I bought this before Holley released the stock tank pump/sender unit and if I were to do it again I'd go that way. But, my car had a virtually new tank fitted before I bought it and I didn't actually need a tank. For looks without a false floor I'd go the sender entry option.

The Tanks gas tank has the hoses and fittings at tank skin level, so you do need to protect them somehow. I think a false floor on top of the tank is the answer as it is close to the frame rail height. See the pic (you also cannot use -8 fittings from the tank, it only takes -6. That's a -8 in the hole and you can't turn it ). You have to cut 2 holes to fit the supply and return hose.

The pump is noisy regardless of fuel level but mainly noticeable at idle. 

I have not had any experience of the baffle as I don't corner this hard. The baffle itself is like an upside down cup that the pump sits in. As it has holes in the corners and the tank itself is reasonably flat I can't see it holding gas like a reserve pot would do. It would be good at a 1/4 and above but once you get real low in gas I don't see it doing anything outstanding.

I had to run a vent tube from the tank as it just stunk the inside out. I also used a fuel-compatible gasket goo on all the cork gaskets.

The sender - man, the sender. It is NOT plug and play and you need to spend some time getting it right. Somewhere on the interweb someone has posted the actual Ohm value for the gas sender, and it is like 50 Ohms at empty, not zero. I placed the sender on the bench, ruled lines for the tank top and bottom and used a multi meter to check readings. But it took a lot of time playing around.  I have it just about right for Empty - about a poofteenth of an inch above E it runs out (I ran it to empty testing it) so it's close. But, full reads full too early but I'd prefer to know when I run out of gas so focussed on the Empty setting. Tanks Inc told me the only way to fix it is a new sender for 100 bucks but when you read the way the sender works I didn't trust that.

The tank itself was great, fit really well, no issues fitting it and the bits went together easy.

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

6 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

Spectre has one that fits a stock tank. SP169C1H Is the one. 

I think the problem with it and Holley 12-305 is, the pumps they used are noisy. You can convert your original tank and sender to in tank pump for EFI using the pump of your choice and Holley Hydramat and it will be cheaper. Also, the Spectra sender will need a baffle in the tank (unless you use Holley Hydramat with it) or you can have fuel starvation issues when fuel level is low.