mustangstofear

All electric

Politicians in general don't think of consequences or unintended consequences. Were not electric street cars in use years ago? If electric vehicles have no downside, why did they go away for 100 years?

streetcars needed rails and were expensive to maintain. Buses were much easier to deploy.

There still is a lingering conspiracy theory that General Motors purchased up streetcar lines and closed them down in California to promote auto sales. I think there were lawsuits, etc back in the day.

People are leaving the cities and the urban environment in droves, and there is no chance of moving the EV infrastructure into the 'burbs and farmland.  

My next vehicle is going to be a diesel, for some fuel diversity.  So, when the gas gets rationed, I will be in line at the truckstop with the 18 wheelers....

There are several problems with electric cars:

1. Range anxiety is probably the biggest. They have limited range and it takes many hours to recharge them. The battery technology just isn't there for a long range dependable power source that is easy to recharge.

2. The materials for the current choice of lithium ion batteries have been described as rare earths. Some dispute that and say they aren't really rare, they are just difficult to get and new mining techniques need to be developed. 

3. What about the infrastructure to support electric cars. Our electric transmission systems are at the brink of failure every summer when air conditioners kick on, and now they want to add more load? Think about the expense for hotels that will have to power large car parks. Restaurants would need charging stations too- if any are left after covid. Any place where you park your car would need charging stations.

4. This isn't a CLEAN process, you have to manufacture the batteries, and dispose of the old ones which makes the whole process pretty toxic. How about generating more power- how are you going to do that? The number one fuel for producing electricity in the US is natural gas. That's good, but number two is coal, and they hate that, and don't even mention nuclear. Wind and solar ain't gonna get it. They are going to have to burn more hydrocarbons. Now what does that do to their precious carbon footprint?

And still our glorious left wing liberal representatives and academics want more electric cars...at least until they are inconvenienced by them.

19 hours ago, Casgar said:

I'm just waiting for the new ZF 8 speed automatic to start appearing in junkyards so I can make a hybrid with 200 electric horses!  :)

https://www.zf.com/products/en/cars/products_55041.html

Production starts in 2022 though. :(

200 electric horses? I think the electric zombie is around 1500hp and over 1800ftlb torque

55 minutes ago, newstang said:

200 electric horses? I think the electric zombie is around 1500hp and over 1800ftlb torque

Yeah, I know. Its an awesome car! What I meant was that I'd personally prefer a hybrid that I could drive to the next city without having to recharge.

On 1/5/2021 at 6:18 PM, RPM said:

Politicians in general don't think of consequences or unintended consequences. Were not electric street cars in use years ago? If electric vehicles have no downside, why did they go away for 100 years?

It’s all about controlling us. I imagine there is a way to remotely shut down all the electric cars at will. ICE cars w less computers are harder to control remotely.