Spider69

auto to manual gearbox conversion

Hi all,

First of all I would like to wish to every one all the best for 2021, a new year without Covid and lot of time to enjoy riding our ponys.

My 69 mach one has a FMX gearbox today but would like to go back to a manual one as originally sold, certainly Tremek T5 instead of toploader.

All around gearbox is quite easy to find but not so easy for the pedals.

I'm looking for advices, experiences, and good addresses :)

My engine is stock and wil stay stock.

Thanks in advance

On 1/3/2021 at 10:52 AM, Spider69 said:

Hi all,

First of all I would like to wish to every one all the best for 2021, a new year without Covid and lot of time to enjoy riding our ponys.

My 69 mach one has a FMX gearbox today but would like to go back to a manual one as originally sold, certainly Tremek T5 instead of toploader.

All around gearbox is quite easy to find but not so easy for the pedals.

I'm looking for advices, experiences, and good addresses :)

My engine is stock and wil stay stock.

Thanks in advance

I would look into Tremec's TKX transmission as this is the route im going with after 2+ years with my TKO, its slimmer version from the TKO and I've read its fixes alot of the high RPM/notchy Shifting issues.

My current TKO600 Conversion kit is from ModernDriveline, I had the syncro's carbon lined but it didn't really fix the notch/shifts at high RPM. 1-2 shifts tend to be a hit or miss, but it definitely resolves 2-3 shift.

MDL is a good company, as it came with everything for plug and play. Only thing, I did not like was their ext. clutch Slave cylinder, which kept failing after few 1k miles, they said they make them in house and sell for $100 dollars, but the truth is after heavy researching on the net, the clutch slave is from a nissan truck and sell for $10-20 at orielly's. Only their bracket is made in house. Also their clutch kits are made in Korea which is not bad, but their pressure plate failed after 3k miles, so I would recommend Advance clutch or McCleod Clutch. The only thing I would purchase from them is their trans mount and brace and purchase everything else from summit, happy to share the part numbers with you but there are other companies that sell better kits.

Also, I recommend this clutch pedal MC instead of MDL's kit: https://www.malwoodusa.com/hydraulic-under-dash/malwood-usa-1969-70-ford-mustang-hydraulic-master-cylinder-clutch-pedal-kit-billet-reservoir/

22 minutes ago, Spider69 said:

Not a lot of answers here  :(

Is this not something quite usual and aften done in the US?

I believe there are a few owners here with t5 swaps, but its a not really popular swap anymore unless you tend to keep the engine stock or have around 300-400hp. TKO600s and TKX's are the new thing to swap in a 67-70 mustang. you might get a quicker responses in https://www.vintage-mustang.com/ 

On 1/13/2021 at 8:50 PM, rwcstang said:

I believe there are a few owners here with t5 swaps, but its a not really popular swap anymore unless you tend to keep the engine stock or have around 300-400hp. TKO600s and TKX's are the new thing to swap in a 67-70 mustang. you might get a quicker responses in https://www.vintage-mustang.com/ 

Hi,

Thanks, I could fin some advices on vintage-mustang.

14 hours ago, Mike65 said:

I went from an auto trans to a T-5 in my 69 Coupe. I also used the hydraulic clutch kit from Modern Driveline.

Hi,

Did you have to cut or rework your brake pedal, and was the clutch pedal included in the kit and was it easy to reconnect the rear gear tail light?

On 1/15/2021 at 7:18 AM, Spider69 said:

Hi,

Did you have to cut or rework your brake pedal, and was the clutch pedal included in the kit and was it easy to reconnect the rear gear tail light?

I got a new brake pedal and clutch pedal.

On 1/15/2021 at 4:18 AM, Spider69 said:

was it easy to reconnect the rear gear tail light?

Hurst sells a bolt on kit. You'll also need to bypass the neutral safety switch. 

20210117_203939.thumb.jpg.1c232468a4e8d5a48e91beeb9fc8d719.jpg

2 hours ago, EastYorkStang said:

NPD sells this unit  15525-5B 

Connects the terminals on the T5 to the harness. I've got one just waiting for warmer weather to install it.

Warmer weather is here. 

20210117_133700.jpg.2927435397c9a2585ab5493467aa6c33.jpg

Well...me. Kinda stuck here with kids and grandkids close by. I'm enjoying them way too much. That and the weather. And no bugs or insects. There are a couple of places in Texas I'd move to in a heartbeat if conditions allowed it. 

9 hours ago, 1969vert said:

Should be able to access in the car...at least you don't have shifter rods in the way like a top loader.

Oops... then disregard my posts. I had toploader on the brain, and skim when I read. Sorry about that. 

I'm hoping to get back to my project that has been gathering moss while I wait on $$$ and a space to do more work. My '69 sportsroof was originally a 6-banger, automatic and 4-wheel drums. I'll be using my SVO 5.0 crate motor and T-5 tranny from my previous '85 GT. I have the modern driveline hydraulic clutch conversion but plan to use a Tilton hydraulic throwout bearing. By seat-of-the-pants calculating, I think my '69 will be a lot lighter than my '85 GT. That should make things easier for the T-5. I don't plan on racing, just enjoying the ride.