ronandmelady

70 coupe electrical issues

I did a write-up on the 70 turn signals, but I'll be darned if I can find it on here. In case you aren't aware I will describe their odd but normal operation. The side marker lights flash in sync with the turn signals when the headlights are off, but when the headlights (or parking lights) are on, the markers flash alternately with the turn signals. I can repost how this works if you are interested.

I think I read it somewhere, yours or somebody's anyway.  It sure makes it more difficult to figure out why not functioning.  I don't want to just start throwing parts at it, but may happen.  I know turn signal cam is not working so may start there and see if maybe something in turn signal switch.  I will finish replacing all the marker bulbs first and make sure my temp fix at fuse box pin is more permanent with better connection.  We'll see where that leads me next.  Thank you Mach1 Driver.

Update on electrical progress.  After some work repairing 2 pins in firewall harness plug I got headlights last weekend.  Today with help from a few people online, I now have all park and marker lights.  Emergency flashers and brake lights work.  Turn signals work when manually moving lever, but not on own.  Swapped out relay...maybe got a bad one.  Progress!

20210116_130840.jpg

UPDATE:  More progress.  I NOW have turn signals.  Turns out relay I bought had some type of intermittent internal short.  Weren't working pulled relay out while still plugged in and worked, put back in holder...quit.  Swapped out for heavy duty flasher and now all work.  Next on to radio power.  Thank you to all that have helped so far.

Update on 70 Coupe Project:  OK...so I've owned the car for a year now and you already read about the electrical issues early on.  Over spring and summer, I resolved a terrible overheating problem that in the end I attributed to just a plain old radiator and a collapsing lower radiator hose and got it purring like a kitten with a terrible breaking up / weak spark issue.  I tried to resolve the dreaded leaking FMX transmission, but think it's still leaking from pan.  And finally, last weekend I replaced the 52 yr old 85 lb spring rate rear leaf springs with Detroit Eaton 70 Competition Suspension 138 lb spring rate springs and dual exhaust shackles and got on my old school Keystone Klassic wheels with BFG Radial T/As.  Love the rear stance and the ride is great.  Think I'm going to cut 1/4 to 1/2 coil out of new front springs to bring it down 1/2 to 1 inch.  Very happy with progress and soon moving on to stripping off the original ugly green paint.  Going with a bright pearl white or white metallic.  And also new carpet, front seat covers, and dash pad.  Having a great time working on an old mustang again.  Cheers to you all until next update.  

70 coupe stance (2).jpg

70 coupe stance 2 (2).jpg

70 coupe stance 3 (2).jpg