ronandmelady

70 coupe electrical issues

I pucked up a solid 70 coupe project last week.  Been working on headlight, driving light, turn signal issues for few days.  Today found upper left wire going into firewall harness plug out of the plug.  Thats a problem.  Unplugged from fuse box and found pin missing and female connector in fuse box side seems missing too.  Short of new harness and fuse box, how do i fix this?  I hate electrical.  Thank you.

20210101_110425_001.jpg

20210101_112903.jpg

20210101_112948.jpg

Wire around the connector would be the simplest. Looks to me you have a pin that has gotten plenty hot and melted. You will have to wire around

this as well. The one in the second picture below and to the left of the screw. Those terminals are junk once they have been hot. That's probably

your headlight issue. Halogen bulbs pull more current than the stock ones. Hope this helps, Steve

Yes they do.  That pin is for the low beam of the headlights.  There must have been a short somewhere, either in the headlight harness or the underdash harness.  Probably best to send both harnesses in to repair the damage.  I may have to replace both portions of the green connector if sufficient damage.

My website is http://midlifeharness.com

11 hours ago, ronandmelady said:

I live in Ogden, UT area.  I'm a mustang guy...this coupe make 4 I currently own.  The coupe is to have a 70 driver, my pride and joy is a pristine 70 BOSS 302.  Here are my 70s.  Thank you for the welcome.

20201224_144259.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

Your Boss is gorgeous. Four Mustangs, sounds like you've got some hoarding issues :)   I wanna know what's under the blue car cover in the first pic!

Thank you Danno.  I am pretty lucky.  I just couldn't pass this coupe up.  Very solid, original paint (so nothing hidden there), and pretty rare coupe with factory 351w, FMX, and 9 inch rear end.  Also engine full rebuild with <500 miles on it.  It was the right car for the right price to be my old school driver/project.  Electrical is kicking my butt...for now.  We'll figure it out.  Ron

Update on electrical progress:  I pulled the firewall plug and got my bearings correct of the pins this time.  I pushed/pulled the burnt pin further out of plug and cleaned up.  Found that wire pulled out of plug was for park/marker lights and got it back where belongs.  Electric lubed all pins and put back together.  I now have high/low beam lights.  Hurray! Still no turn signals and only right front drive/marker lights.  That will be next.  Have harness coming soon to try that route.  Progress!

20210108_120238.jpg