dmck

Trim code decode needed please..

There is a metal tag attached under my rear seat and I presume it is a trim code.

I cannot find any info to 'decode' it and any info/help will be greatly appreciated.

the code is in 2 lines :

VC8ZB-6563120-B

LSI-SK-259-8-A

Edited by dmck
typo error

I have a 69 hardtop, (not fastback) and the rear sweat back has only 2 'bolt brackets' that do not match the 4 bolt holes meant to fix the seat.

From on line drawings it appears as if the back is out of a convertible, though it seems a good fit.  The seat itself appears to be a good fit and seems to fit the holding brackets.

I want to invest in new seat covers but am reluctant to do so until I determine if the convertible seats are the same size and shape as the hardtop standard seats.

I was hoping the code would tell me what car the seats were meant for.  I may have a mix of models in the back.

If it is, as Midlife suggests, a manufacturers code it should identify the vehicle model it was made for....

SO... how do I investigate further?  ... please?

If I can find another 69 near me ( not an easy task as I am in Adelaide, South Australia) I will have a car to compare to...   Fastbacks are easy to find but hardtops are rare....

27 minutes ago, dmck said:

I have a 69 hardtop, (not fastback) and the rear sweat back has only 2 'bolt brackets' that do not match the 4 bolt holes meant to fix the seat.

From on line drawings it appears as if the back is out of a convertible, though it seems a good fit.  The seat itself appears to be a good fit and seems to fit the holding brackets.

I want to invest in new seat covers but am reluctant to do so until I determine if the convertible seats are the same size and shape as the hardtop standard seats.

I was hoping the code would tell me what car the seats were meant for.  I may have a mix of models in the back.

If it is, as Midlife suggests, a manufacturers code it should identify the vehicle model it was made for....

SO... how do I investigate further?  ... please?

If I can find another 69 near me ( not an easy task as I am in Adelaide, South Australia) I will have a car to compare to...   Fastbacks are easy to find but hardtops are rare....

Hi mate, I assume you are talking about the seat back for rear seats. Rear seat back for a 69-70 coupe and vert are  attached with 2 sheet metal screws with big captive washers on the lower part of the seat back. 69 rear seats and 70 rear seats are interchangeable but hardtop and vert seats are not. Vert rear seats are narrower due to folding top mechanism. So, if you put vert rear seat on a hardtop, you will have a few inches gap on both sides and coupe seat will not fit a vert without cutting and welding the seat frames.

20 minutes ago, aslanefe said:

Hi mate, I assume you are talking about the seat back for rear seats. Rear seat back for a 69-70 coupe and vert are  attached with 2 sheet metal screws with big captive washers on the lower part of the seat back. 69 rear seats and 70 rear seats are interchangeable but hardtop and vert seats are not. Vert rear seats are narrower due to folding top mechanism. So, if you put vert rear seat on a hardtop, you will have a few inches gap on both sides and coupe seat will not fit a vert without cutting and welding the seat frames.

I really appreciate your reply.  Please first up, can we define the 3 differnt models, I have a feeling that our 'type names' may differ

I know them as:

Convertible (obvious really and we cant really differ)

Fastback (also fairly obvious)

Hardtop /Coupe ( the 'standard' 2 door body shape, body style 65A)

My car has 4 retaining screws with monstrous washers, but the seat back has the 2 frame protrusions to match the 2 sheet metal screws you describe. Are you able to identify with my description of the 4 bolt positions, please?

Are the seats themselves (the part you sit on....) the same across all models?

From what I have read the Fastback rear seat (back) is hinged and folds down, so I dont expect that would need 4 mounting bolts

I'll post some photos later today.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

dmck

3 hours ago, dmck said:

I really appreciate your reply.  Please first up, can we define the 3 differnt models, I have a feeling that our 'type names' may differ

I know them as:

Convertible (obvious really and we cant really differ)

Fastback (also fairly obvious)

Hardtop /Coupe ( the 'standard' 2 door body shape, body style 65A)

My car has 4 retaining screws with monstrous washers, but the seat back has the 2 frame protrusions to match the 2 sheet metal screws you describe. Are you able to identify with my description of the 4 bolt positions, please?

Are the seats themselves (the part you sit on....) the same across all models?

From what I have read the Fastback rear seat (back) is hinged and folds down, so I dont expect that would need 4 mounting bolts

I'll post some photos later today.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

dmck

Yes mate, fastback, convertible (vert) and hardtop/coupe body styles. On vert and coupe, the screws go through the U shaped metal tabs that protrude at the bottom of rear seat back and mount to holes close to the nut plates welded on floor that the seat belts attach to. What I told on my previous post as far as similarity applies to rear seat backs and bottoms; rear seat bottoms for vert and coupe are not the same either. As you know fastback rear seat back and bottom are different from coupe and vert also. The bottom of rear seat does not have any screws or bolts to attach vert and coupes. If you post a photo, mark the U shaped tabs and I will tell you if they arey are correct mounting tabs.

Cheers

Edited by aslanefe
Typo

Now the revelation....

Have I been panicking over nothing ?

Are these 4 bolts actually seat-belt mountings?  it would make sense.  

There were no seat belts in the car when I bought it.  Were they a standard fitting?  If so, I will have to fit them to be 'legal' in South Australia.

... and the other conclusion based upon them being seat belt mounts... is that there are so seat-back bolt holes-- which would not be a problem as the back is secure once the bottom is in place.

Your comments please?

yes those are seat belt bolts but they should go into a round nut plate that is welded to the body. you should also have the holes for the seat . you might want to look carefully to see if that piece has been replaced

you can always try tony gerace at gerace restorations as well . tell him mustang mike says the sushi bar misses him.

this is from a 70 mustang but i dont remember which model

p9PqXXJegQNsI0IyUsk-wPa28Ma4CL0DqFKs9VK9

Tony is my 'second best mate' as I try to get this beast presentable.  I will pass on your regards.

39 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

y you should also have the holes for the seat . you might want to look carefully to see if that piece has been replaced

There has been a liberal amount of rust prevention over EVERYTHING !! any holes may be sealed by that!... I'll grab a 'pick' and start poking,

many thanks

1 hour ago, dmck said:

bolt holes not near back-'bolt-tag'

No holes near 'tag'

IMG_6534AA.jpg

The bolts with torxs heads attach the seat belts. On the picture above, I can see a small hole inside the U (towards the bottom of the U). That is where a sheet metal screw with a big captive washer is installed; no threads or nuts for those and are smaller than the holes for seat belts.

51 minutes ago, barnett468 said:

yes those are seat belt bolts but they should go into a round nut plate that is welded to the body. you should also have the holes for the seat . you might want to look carefully to see if that piece has been replaced

you can always try tony gerace at gerace restorations as well . tell him mustang mike says the sushi bar misses him.

this is from a 70 mustang but i dont remember which model

p9PqXXJegQNsI0IyUsk-wPa28Ma4CL0DqFKs9VK9

Are you sure that is a picture from a Mustang? The buckles does not look like a Mustang buckle, and there are belts for 3 persons; Mustang has belts for 2.

This pic makes the thing look really rusty... but there is not a sign of rust in this region.  It is covered with a rust proof 'something' possibly a rubber paint - and dust, which may have filled in any small holes.  I've had a 'dig-around' but not detected any holes.  I'll have to use a fine spike and try again.....

or make my own !!

Many, Many Thanks for your advice and comments, why didnt I find this site 12 months ago???

IMG_6534AA.jpg

26 minutes ago, dmck said:

This pic makes the thing look really rusty... but there is not a sign of rust in this region.  It is covered with a rust proof 'something' possibly a rubber paint - and dust, which may have filled in any small holes.  I've had a 'dig-around' but not detected any holes.  I'll have to use a fine spike and try again.....

or make my own !!

Many, Many Thanks for your advice and comments, why didnt I find this site 12 months ago???

IMG_6534AA.jpg

Look from under the car and you should see the pierced metal from when the screw pierced the holes for seat screws. It is also possible that the screws were never put on and created the holes. In that case you have to drill them yourself.

19 minutes ago, aslanefe said:

Look from under the car and you should see the pierced metal from when the screw pierced the holes for seat screws. It is also possible that the screws were never put on and created the holes. In that case you have to drill them yourself.

Excellent advice. I have a pit so checking that is easy.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:27 PM, barnett468 said:

pm sent with Tony's email address

On 12/31/2020 at 6:40 PM, aslanefe said:

Well, I put the Pony over my pit and checked from underneath.  The holes are clearly visible under the rust proofing.

Many, many thanks.