rwcstang

Oil Catch brand recommendations and mount locations

Hi all, hope you had a great holiday weekend!

Need some recommendations in oil catch can brands/sizes and what is recommended for my engine (if that matters)

also, I'm curious to where you have yours mounted since there isn't that much room.

Engine: 351/393w stroker

I bought mine on e-bay for under $30 Aust.  It is well made , holds 600ml.. oh hell whats that in old English?... approx 1 pint I think.

Easy to assemble and fit... had to make a bracket up to keep it vertical.

I do have one minor problem that I caused myself.  I wasnt paying attention to the assembly details and left out 2 small seals.... and it leaks a little.

MIne is mounted between the battery and the wheel/suspension bulge.  I have removed the dipstick (where all the oil was escaping under pressure) and connected a tube from dipstick to catch can.

IMG_6538AA.jpg

IMG_6537AA.jpg

On 12/30/2020 at 11:50 PM, dmck said:

MIne is mounted between the battery and the wheel/suspension bulge.  I have removed the dipstick (where all the oil was escaping under pressure) and connected a tube from dipstick to catch can

Just curious Dmck, how much oil do you catch with the oil catch can in a given period, or mileage ?.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:58 PM, dream car said:

Just curious Dmck, how much oil do you catch with the oil catch can in a given period, or mileage ?.

Depends on how I drive.  If Im 'having fun' I can 1/2 fill it in a couple of hundred miles.   I'f I'm careful and sedate (boring!!)... none

ITs a 302 with 4 barrel carby.  It seems if I dont open the second set I dont blow oil.

@ Vicfreg.  I have all this stuff on my car and still blow oil.  I've only had the car 15 months and there were other more pressing issues to attend:

• a new radio
  • fix the fan speed controller, which lead to
    • stripping the heater box to remove a rats nest- including mummified rats.....
  • repair the heater demister controls
  • replace the headlights
  • rewire the headlights and install relays and fuses (so much wiring under the '69 dash is 'hot' so I added lots of fuses.

Now I have  all the major issues addressed I can continue chasing the oil blow-by.  I intend to take it for a long run , 100 miles or so, add some oil detergent  and drain the sump, then remove the sump, looking for anything that may be restricting oil paths.

I   TOTALLY agree that the crankcase ventilation you describe should eliminate blowby .   Before installing the catch-can I had replaced PCV valve and oil-filler valve , to no noticeable affect.

Excessive blow by on a normally aspirated engine is commonly caused by bad piston compression rings.  

If you get a chance pull your plugs and check the compression on your cylinders

When you pull the plugs out take a look at which ones may have excessive oil on them