Sign in to follow this  
1969Fstback

Lower Cowl install

I got a new lower cowl.  I am to point of being ready to install.  Question is, what is the best method? Weld in the lower cowl grind spot welds then weld on upper cowl, or weld upper and lower together then weld both as a unit onto the car?  Or weld both both to the car at the same time?

thanks

I have installed a few cowls and I prefer to install them in two pieces. When you weld in your lower portion you can prime / paint the lower section and the inside of the upper for a little more corrosion control. The lower portion has all the rosette welds ground smooth so when you weld your upper part on a little wire brush on a drill makes short work of the areas that need to be bare metal for a good weld. I do not see how one can get really good paint coverage on an assembled cowl. The inside of this one was bare metal in several places when I disassembled it, as it was spot welded together when I bought it. 

IMG_20140705_112619.thumb.jpeg.b55a00a4caed88060ec032061906960e.jpeg

IMG_20140705_113334.thumb.jpeg.12a872b8052172abd46ef3b8e16ef265.jpeg